Badminton Forums  

Go Back   Badminton Forums > General > Professionals & Tournaments

Notices

Professionals & Tournaments Discuss your favourite badminton professionals and tournaments here.

Old 07-29-2017

The article posted above have summed up China poor performance with 6 of their players losing in the QF. Only 4 players entered the SF. But good news arrived when all the 4 China players playing in the SF today have won their match to play in the finals tomorrow. But then again it is very doubtful just as said that China will be able to win any titles tomorrow. Everything is still very uncertain for China team.

One thing for sure is China will win no XD medals in this AJC 2017. Whether China will be able to win silver or gold medals in MS, WS, MD and WD will have to depend on tomorrow's final outcome. My hunch is China will not win any titles tomorrow because their players have really been playing poorly below par in this year AJC 2017.
Old 07-30-2017

Malaysia's Leong Jun Hao gave himself a big boost for the World Junior Championships in Jogjakarta in October when he won the Badminton Asia Junior title in Bintaro, Jakarta on Sunday.

The Malaysian Under-21 champion, however, had to come through a gruelling three game 74-minute battle for his 21-6, 20-22, 21-17 win against China's Bai Yupeng, in a match he would have wrapped up in straight games.

Jun Hao was the master in the first game as he rattled the Chinese with all round performance. Yupeng, playing in his first international meet, was totally lost in the game but regained his composure in the next two to give the Malaysian a run for his money.

"It does not matter to me now how I won. I am happy to win the title for Malaysia after years," said Jun Hao, adding that he was in a hurry to win the second set.

"Winning the Asian junior title is a big boost for my confidence. Hopefully, it will serve me well in the world junior...as I aim to add the world junior title."
The Malaysian flag was raised and the national anthem, "Negara Ku", was heard at the stadium for the first time.

Meanwhile, losing the mixed team title took a back seat for China as they flexed their muscles in the individual finals - winning the boys' doubles and the girls' singles for their first two titles of the day.

Unseeded Di Zijian-Chang Wang pulled off a stunning straights games 21-19, 21-11 win over second seeds Lee Sang-min-Na Sung Seung of Korea in 35 minutes.

China's national anthem was also heard and the flag raised for the first time at the stadium - a motivating factor for Han Yue when she took the courts for girls' final against third seed Pattarasuda Chaiwan of Thailand.

The unseeded Han Yu stopped the Sea-Games bound Pattarasuda in her track with a 21-15, 21-13 win and stopped the Thai from adding the Under-19 to her list after winning the Under-17 title last year - also in Jakarta.

However, the Koreans forced China into a "pit stop" when third seeds Baek Ha-na-Lee Yu-rim ran away with the women's doubles title with a 21-12, 21-19 win against China's Liu Xuanxuan-Xia Yuting in 40 minutes.

In the final event of the day Indonesia too celebrated - winning the mixed doubles title in a thrilling 65 minute match which sent the home fans wild.

The fifth seeded Indonesian pair Rehan Naufal Kusharjanto-Siti Fadia Silva Ramadhanti dashed Korean hopes, third seeds Na Sung-seung-Seong Ah-yeong with a 21-19, 19-21, 21-9 win for the title.

Earlier Korea had won the mixed team title with a 3-2 win over Indonesia in the final.

RESULTS (ALL FINALS)

Men's singles
Leong Jun Hao (MAS) beat Bai Yupeng (CHN) 21-6, 20-22, 21-17

Men's doubles
Di Zijian-Wang Chang (CHN) beat Lee Sang-min-Na Sung-seung (KOR) 21-19, 21-11

Women's singles
Han Yue (CHN) beat Pattarasuda Chaiwan (THA) 21-15, 21-13

Women's doubles
Baek Ha-na-Lee Yu-rim (KOR) beat Liu Xuanxuan-Xia Yuting (CHN) 21-12, 21-19

Mixed doubles
Rehan Naufal Kusharjanto-Siti Fadia Silva Ramadhanti (INA) beat Na Sung-seung (KOR) 21-19, 19-21, 21-9
Old 07-30-2017

For this year AJC 2017, China performance has dropped drastically and they could not top the lists any more. Here is the winner of the medals. Korea seems to have topped the lists winning 7 medals.

1. Korea - 7 medals (1 gold team event, 1 gold WD, 1 silver MD, 1 silver XD, 2 bronze XD, 1 bronze MD)

2. China - 4 medals (1 gold WS, 1 gold MD, 1 silver MS, 1 silver WD)

3. Indonesia - 4 medals (1 gold XD, 1 silver team event, 2 bronze WD)

4. Malaysia - 4 medals (1 gold MS, 1 bronze WS, 1 bronze MD, 1 bronze team event)

5. Thailand - 2 medals (1 silver WS, 1 bronze MS)

6. Japan - 1 medal (1 bronze team event)

7. Chinese Taipei - 1 medal (1 bronze MS)

8. Singapore - 1 medal (1 bronze WS)

This proves that China is no more dominant. In the past China will make a clean sweep of all the 6 gold medals for the team events and also for all the individual categories.

In the past AJC, China will win the team event gold medal, followed by 5 gold medals, 5 silver medals and 5 bronze medals for the individual events in MS, WS, MD, WD and XD. But as of this year 2017 the poor performance continued with China only able to win 4 medals in this year 2017.

So this is very serious now. China has lose its foothold in badminton. Please wake up CBA and China badminton. As a China badminton fan I find this year AJC 2017 result to be totally unaccepted. I sincerely hope that CBA and China coaches will do something about it before it is too late.

Since the same players will be playing in WJC 2017 I doubted China can win any medals by then. The question here is if China has got no good junior players, how to have good senior players? When the juniors perform badly and do not have good basics, it is almost impossible for them to be good players when they come to the senior stage. This is very serious indeed.

Last edited by 1234; 07-30-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2017

China has lose its dominance when they only managed to have 4 players playing in the SF. It is not like in the past whereby CHina will have 15 players in the SF.

The most shocking thing of all is China MS player Bai Yupeng can even lose to a Malaysia MS player Leong Jun Hao in the finals. Not only that China WD Liu Xuanxuan / Xia Yuting also lose unexpectedly to Korea WD Baek Ha Na / Lee Yu Rim. This to me is very shocking.

In fact all the China players have lost to players from other countries before the SF leaving only 4 players in the SF which to me is very shocking indeed. Just imagine this out of the 20 players, only 4 players managed to reach the SF to play. This is a very shocking and poor result for China. China send 4 maximum players for all the different categories making it 20 players. Yet out of these 20 players, only 4 of them managed to enter the SF to play which is very shocking indeed.

This point to the downfall of China badminton. It is time for CBA to wake up and do something about it before it is too late.
Old 08-01-2017

China made a clean sweep of all the titles in Bangkok last year but the Chinese suffered a jolt in this year's Badminton Asia Junior Championships which ended in Bintaro, Jakarta on Sunday.

The Chinese return home with only two titles in the individual events this year but are not ready to reclaim their status as the badminton powerhouse.

It was a double blow for China who also lost the Sudirman Cup mixed title for the seniors earlier this year.

South Korea, the top seeds in this year's Junior Asian meet, after four successive defeats to China in the mixed team title since 2013, finally laid their hands on the trophy with a 3-2 win over second seeds in an entertaining final which went down the wire.

The joy of winning the junior mixed team title added to the senior team's success in winning the Sudirman Cup mixed team title in Gold Coast , Australia in May this year.

The Koreans are establishing themselves as the new mixed team "kingpins" which coach Kim Hak Kyun described as the "beginning of new era" for badminton in the country.

Indonesia too have thrown strong signals that they have juniors who will be players to watch in the coming future. Among them are names like Gregoria Mariska who was the top seed in the girls' singles. The 17-year-old however had to pull out of the individual events after coming down with body cramps while playing in the mixed team final.

China, despite the failure to retain the mixed team title, walked away with two titles in the individual events - the girls' singles (Han Yue) and boys' doubles (Di Zijian-Wang Chang) - while Liu Xuanxuan-Xia Yuting reached the boys' doubles final.

The boys' singles title went to Malaysia's national Under-21 champion Leong Jun Hao with China's newcomer Bai Yupeng finishing runners-up. For the record Han Yue and Yupeng were playing in their first international tournament in the Asian Junior meet.

It was also encouraging to note Myanmar's Thet Htar Thuzar scalped Thailand's sixth seed Chananchida Jucharoen in the first round and went on to reach the fourth round before being shown the exit.

Both players will don their country's colours in next month's Sea Games in Kuala Lumpur. Thailand are the defending women's team champions.

The even spread of medals in Jakarta is a welcome sign that China's domination is coming to an end. However the encouraging show by smaller badminton playing nations is something Badminton Asia is proud of. In Bangkok last year the Chinese swept all the titles at stake in the individual events apart from the mixed team title.

At the end of the Badminton Asia's Junior Championships in Jakarta on Sunday the Chinese could win only two titles while Korea (girls' doubles) Malaysia (boys' singles) and Indonesia (mixed doubles) won one each.

It left many happy that Badminton Asia's development programs is paying dividends and the progress made by these countries is a step in the right direction to raise the level of the shuttle sport in their respective countries.

China's team manager Lu Sida acknowledged the rise of Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, India and Thailand are strong signals that badminton will not be dominated by a single country anymore.

"We are aware that China has a fight to stay dominant but it is encouraging to see the rise of our rivals. Our failure to retain the mixed team title is a warning," said Lu Sida.
Old 08-05-2017

In this week tournament, it is indeed shocking to say that China has lose its foothold once again. I know that it will be difficult for China to win and dominate in Super Series tournaments. So I always console myself and said it is okay. It is tough. If China can win the XD title, I will be happy already.

But today as it is I am jolted and shocked. This week New Zealand Open GPG will have no China players playing in the finals. It is so shocking. Since when China cannot even enter the finals of a GPG tournament? Wow it is happening.

Worse still China can even lose to any players from any other countries. Different XD players from China have all lose to the same Australian XD player. Even in the SF today, China XD have lose to Australia XD player. I became speechless as I watched the whole match live. Seems live China players could not do anything to win that match. This should not have happened.

Sawan SERASINGHE / Setyana MAPASA win ZHOU Haodong / XU Ya 25-23 21-18

Next the WD also lose to Japanese players in straight set. This so me is like a norm because Japanese players have been enjoying themselves winning over China players nonstop.

Ayako SAKURAMOTO / Yukiko TAKAHATA win Liu Xuanxuan / Xia Yuting 23-21 21-13

Then worse part of all China MD can even lose to Malaysia MD today. I was like what the heck? what is happening to China badminton. The China MD players all smashed to no avail as they just did not know what to do to win their match today. This is indeed a sad situation for China badminton. China has indeed lose its foothold in badminton of course.

ONG Yew Sin / TEO Ee Yi win HE Jiting / TAN Qiang 21-19 21-11

To me China performance has indeed dropped a lot. China is no longer dominant in badminton and China is also no longer the powerhouse in badminton. Yes people have talked a lot about the transition period from junior to senior. Looks like China players will forever be in the slump and doldrums. As a fan of China badminton it is indeed disheartening for me to keep on seeing various badminton players from China just kept on losing to any players from any other countries. Now China players can even lose to Australian players which to me is very shocking indeed.
Old 08-05-2017

Players from various different countries have qualified to play in the finals tomorrow.

1. Malaysia - 2 players (1 MD, 1 WD)
Teo Ee Yi / Ong Yew Sin and Vivian Hoo Kah Mun / Woon Khe Wei

2. Chinese Taipei - 2 players (1 MD, 1 MS)
Chen Hung Ling / Wang Chi Lin and Wang Tzu Wei.

3. Japan - 2 players (1 WD, 1 WS)
Ayako SAKURAMOTO / Yukiko TAKAHATA and Saena Kawakami.

4. Thailand - 1 player (1 WS)
Ratchanok Intanon

5. Hong Kong - 1 player (1 MS)
Lee Cheuk Yiu

6. Indonesia - 1 player (1 XD)
Ronald Ronald / Anissa Saufika

7. Australia - 1 player (1 XD)
Sawan SERASINGHE / Setyana MAPASA

Imagine when I look at the lists of the players playing in the finals tomorrow, I got a big shock. Even Australia will have a XD player playing in the finals tomorrow. But then what remains evident is that there will be no China players in the finals tomorrow. I do like, what the heck? What is wrong with China badminton now?

Now it is the wake up call for China. It is time for CBA and China badminton to buck up and do something as soon as possible before it is too late of course.
Old 08-05-2017

Ominous signs from the title favourites in the mens and women's singles at the SKYCITY New Zealand Badminton Open at the North Shore Events Centre in Auckland.

Chinese Taipei's Tzu Wei Wang and Thailand's Ratchanok Intanon are through to the final of their respective events, after comprehensive wins in the semis.

Wang was particularly impressive, as he romped to a 21-11 21-12 victory over eleventh seeded compatriot Lin Yu Hsien.

Intanon had to work a little harder, but the world number nine still dealt out a 21-13 21-17 defeat to fourth seeded Indonesian Hanna Ramadini.

But while it's no surprise the top seeds made the finals, their opponents are a different story.

Japan's Saena Kawakami has earned the right to take on Intanon in the women's event, after upsetting second seeded Indonesian Fitriani in the semis.

The fifth seed had to ward off a determined fightback from Fitriani, before winning 21-12 17-21 21-17.

Its Kawakami's fourth final in a BWF Grand Prix Gold event this year, after winning in Canada and Chinese Taipei and finishing runner-up at the China Masters.

However, she says those results are irrelevant.

"Every match I play I just try to focus on what's in front of me. Without winning that match I can't proceed to the next one, but I'm feeling pretty confident," she said.

But the prospect of facing Intanon in the final has her excited.

"I've never played her before so I'm really looking forward to it."

Saena Kawakami will play Ratchanok Intanon in the final level - Luke Lee - Brainjam

Meanwhile, Hong Kong's Lee Cheuk Yiu was still trying to digest the fact hed prevented an all Chinese Taipei final, with a superb 21-12 21-19 victory over sixth seed Hsu Jen Hao.
'
"It's my first time in a final of a BWF Grand Prix Gold Event so I'm pretty excited," he said.

However, the 20-year-old is trying to keep his emotions in check before facing world number 12 Tzu Wei Wang in the title decider.

"It's just another match so I need to prepare for that," he said.

Lee Cheuk Yiu is through to his first final - Jonathon Stone-Blackstar Sports.

Unlike the singles, the men's doubles has a predictable line-up, with the top two seeds to contest the final.

Chen Hung Ling and Wang Chi-Lin from Chinese Taipei have justified their top billing with a 21-13 21-15 semifinal win over Indonesia's Kenas Adi Haryanto and Moh Reza Pahlevi Isfahani.

Their opponents will be Malaysian second seeds Ong Yew Sin and Teo Ee Yi who beat China's He Jiting and Tan Qiang 21-19 21-11.

The top seeds are also into the title decider in the women's doubles with Malaysia's Vivian Hoo and Woon Khe Wei outlasting Indonesia's Greysia Polii and Apriyani Rahayu 21-18 13-21 21-13.

They'll play Japan's Ayako Sakuramoto and Yukiko Takahata, after the fourth seeds downed China's Xuanxuan Liu and Yuting Xia 23-21 21-13.

And Australia remains in the hunt for a surprise title with eighth seeds Sawan Serasinghe and Setyana Mapasa through to the final of the mixed doubles after a 25-23 21-18 win over China's Zhou Haodong and Xu Ya.

They'll face unseeded Indonesian pair Ronald and Annisa Saufika, who triumphed 21-9 19-21 21-6 against Chinese Taipei's Wang Chi-Lin and Australian Hsuan-Yu Wendy Chen.
Old 08-05-2017

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Team China's chief said its poorest medal haul since the 1996 Atlanta games had exposed problems that it will seek to address in time for Tokyo 2020, but commended the team's overall patriotism and sportsmanship.

Liu Peng, who led China's largest-ever overseas delegation of 416 athletes, told Chinese media in Rio de Janeiro that the country's favorable performances in past world championships such as swimming and shooting had made them underestimate their Olympic opponents, according to local news outlet Sina Sports.

"The less satisfactory results from specific sports reminded us that no one can lay on the past glories and keep winning without further efforts," he said in remarks quoted by state news agency Xinhua.

Rule changes in certain sports had also had an impact and China realized that it had not kept up with overseas developments and innovation trends in some sports, he said.

About two-thirds of the Chinese team this year were also competing in their first Olympics, but the country had failed to give them sufficient training and guidance, resulting in some becoming overly anxious while competing, he said.

"In four years, there comes Tokyo 2020. And the Chinese sportsmen and women will keep working hard on both competitive and mass sports, hoping to show better performance and high-note spirit in next Olympics," he said.

Thanks to unexpected losses in sports like badminton, shooting and gymnastics, China ended its Rio Olympics in third place with 26 golds, behind Britain, its worst result since 1996 when it won 16 golds. This was also a far cry from its record haul of 51 golds when it hosted the Games in Beijing 2008.

But Liu, echoing a call from the government for the country to be less obsessed with gold medals, said the team had met the country's overall expectations and more importantly had demonstrated patriotism and sportsmanship.

He also said the country would continue its strong anti-doping stance and would improve its education and supervision of athletes, after Chinese swimmer Chen Xinyi was disqualified from the Games for use of the diuretic hydrochlorothiazide.
Old 08-05-2017

The Shocking Lengths China Will Go To Win At The Olympics

China's massive medal haul at the London Games has once again showcased the country's ability to produce champions through its rigid Soviet-style sports regime, but national pride has been tempered by concerns about the human costs of sporting glory.

Chinese bloggers expressed their disgust last week after a Shanghai newspaper reported that the parents of Olympic diver Wu Minxia had concealed her mother's long battle with breast cancer for fear of disturbing her training.

Wu, 26, who was also shielded from news of her grandparents' deaths, shrugged off the controversy to win both the synchronized and individual three-meter springboard events in London.

"It's not only Chinese athletes who are like this. Parents seldom come to our training base and we are just like a big family who all train together," Wu said after winning the individual title on Sunday.

"There may be distance from our families but the distance doesn't make us feel we are far apart. I chose to be a diver to pursue this goal."

While the fall of Communism in Europe in the 1980s and 1990s [stopped] the command-and-control systems that turned the Soviet Union and East Germany into sporting superpowers, China's "juguo tizhi"—literally 'whole nation system'—remains as entrenched as ever.

Like Wu, the greater majority of China's 396 Olympians have started their sports at tender ages, sacrificed their childhoods for the state and drawn their emotional support from team mates, coaches and officials, in lieu of family members and friends.

The relationship remains strong between the athletes and the state that nurtured them, and fairytale stories abound of Chinese children wrenched from poverty and enriched by success on the global stage.

But the Olympic medals have obscured the more unsavory aspects of the sports regime, which has been blamed for leaving less successful athletes uneducated and ill-equipped to thrive outside the competition venues.

Abuse accusations

It has also drawn criticism from Western coaches who have accused their Chinese counterparts of producing winners through systematic physical abuse.

"You wonder why the Chinese women are so successful? Most of the men are coaches. The women are literally beaten into submission," Johannah Doecke, diving coach at the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in the United States, told Reuters.

"If you said no to anything, you would be chastised, slapped around. It's a brutal system."

Doecke trained one of China's elite divers in Chen Ni, who rose to a provincial grade before migrating to the U.S. at the age of 19.

Doecke describes Chen as someone who was terrified of making a mistake when she first came under her instruction.

"If she made a mistake, she would instantly kowtow and apologize," she said.

Doecke worked with other Chinese coaches who had left their home country and said they would jest that she would need to be forceful to get the best out of Chen.

"As I worked with Chen, I would hear from time to time, 'if you want a good performance out of her, you'll have to beat her'," she said.

China's dominance in sports like table tennis and badminton has seen Western athletes level similar accusations of mistreatment.

Britain's top women table tennis players said China's methods would not be allowed elsewhere.

"It wouldn't be legal in Britain to train as hard as the Chinese," said Joanna Parker, Britain's top female player, last week.

Her teammate Kelly Sibley told the Olympic news service: "It's how they (Chinese coaches) treat them (Chinese trainee players) as well.

"We were playing a couple of years ago in a centre in Shanghai. Someone was playing and the coach just went up and kicked him in the side."

Chinese officials have bristled at the criticism.

"You have to train hard. Why does the West think like this?" Shi Zhihao, the male head of China's women's table tennis team, said angrily in response.

"China is very free, if you want you can do it, and if you don't want to do it you don't have to."

Chen declined to comment on whether she had been subject to physical discipline by her Chinese coaches, but defended it as being misunderstood.

"The coaches are like athletes' parents," she said in comments emailed to Reuters.

"Most of the time, coaches care about their divers even more than their own children.

"Diving is a dangerous sport, things could change in a second ... thus, as parents they have to do anything that force their children to do things safely.

"Sometimes it ends up (that they) hit their divers, but I know that it will more hurt inside of coaches every time when they had to hit their divers."

Cash bonuses

The athletes who bring China Olympic glory stand to receive grateful thanks from the state, with cash bonuses from China's national sports ministry and from lower levels of government for bringing prestige to their home towns and provinces.

Less successful athletes have much less to fall back on and state media have reported a number of cases of retired national champions struggling with long-term injuries and poverty.

Chinese athletes in London have, nonetheless, been largely unreserved in their praise of their coaches and the grueling training systems that have taken the delegation to more than 35 gold medals in London.

However, Chinese swimmer Lu Ying, who won silver in the women's 100 meters butterfly in London, spoke out against the team's domestic training system as being all work and no play.

"In China we're used to study, study and train, train and then rest," Lu, who has done part of her training in Australia since 2008, said through an interpreter earlier this week.

"I think our way of thinking has many limits. In Australia I've been invited to barbecues with my teammates - that would never happen in China."

China's top badminton player Lin Dan, who defended his men's singles gold at London, also broke ranks with his team amid a match-throwing scandal last week that claimed two of his teammates among eight players disqualified from the tournament.

The four women's doubles pairs, including China's world champions Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli, were expelled for deliberately playing to lose in a bid to improve their position in the draw for the knockout rounds.

Lin blamed the world governing body for instituting a round-robin format for the Olympic tournament that was ripe for manipulation, but said the disqualified players' tactics had brought a "negative" impact on the sport.

All costs

Chinese bloggers linked that scandal to the country's pursuit of Olympic medals at all costs and have criticized the system for putting too much pressure on Olympians to succeed.

"The whole-nation system is disastrous," wrote one user on China's Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo.

"The budding young talents are shut up in closed training schools from a young age and apart from their own events, almost have no other life skills."

Despite the criticism, China's Communist Party leaders rely on the system to produce champions who can puff up national pride, and are unlikely to tinker with it, according to Xu Guoqi, a professor at the University of Hong Kong and an expert in Chinese sports.

"As long as the Chinese are not confident enough of themselves in the world, as long as the regime has a legitimacy problem, it will continue its 'juguo tizhi'," he said in comments emailed to Reuters.

"Some people might criticize the system, but imagine the pressure and attacks on athletes and the regime if China fails to do well in the Games."