Badminton Forums  

Go Back   Badminton Forums > General > Professionals & Tournaments

Notices

Professionals & Tournaments Discuss your favourite badminton professionals and tournaments here.

Old 12-08-2016

China’s badminton stranglehold loosens
Chen Long grabbed China's second badminton gold but the departure of Lin Dan is perhaps the biggest threat to Chinese dominance.

Badminton powerhouse China has long dominated the sport, but its poor return of just two gold medals at the Rio Olympics marks a sea change as its stranglehold loosens.
China collected a clean sweep of five gold medals at London 2012, however it was a different story in Brazil as its women shuttlers and superstar Lin Dan left empty-handed.
That poor return played a major role in China slipping behind Great Britain to finish third in the medals table – the first time they have finished outside the top two since the Sydney Games in 2000.

The women’s singles had its first non-Chinese winner since the Atlanta Games 20 years ago after Li Xuerui failed to defend her title won in London, losing in the semi-final.
After falling to Spanish gold medallist Carolina Marin, Li said it was becoming harder for China to continue its dominance of the sport, which has been an Olympic event since Barcelona 1992.

“Our team is strong and we’ve tried our best to perform well but now it’s really competitive,” the 25-year-old explained.
“These days the challenge is much more competitive worldwide. Every team is showing they are strong and powerful,” Li added.
Marin later hailed her gold medal as one “that broke the Asian world” and with the Spaniard only 23 years old it could be a European country that commands future women’s singles titles.

The Asian giant also missed out on Olympic women’s doubles badminton gold for the first time since the Barcelona Games when Tang Yuanting and Yu Yang lost in the semi-finals.

Japanese duo Misaki Matsutomo and Ayaka Takahashi beat Denmark in the final for gold with the former declaring it had been their goal to “break China’s dominance”.
Earlier in the week both of China’s pairs, including double London gold medallist Zhao Yunlei, lost in the last-four of the mixed doubles, which was eventually won by Indonesia.

With three gold medals down China were still looking for their first podium-topping finish, which eventually came thanks to the men’s doubles pairing of Fu Haifeng and Zhang Nan.

Chen Long beat Malaysian Lee Chong Wei in the men’s singles final to grab China’s second gold but the departure of Lin Dan is perhaps the biggest threat to Chinese dominance.

The double Olympic gold medallist and five-time world champion, nicknamed “Super Dan”, was beaten by Lee in the last-four before losing his bronze medal match to Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen.

Lin towered over the sport for at least a decade but at 32, Rio was all but certainly his last Games and it was not the end to a glorious career that he would have wanted.
Chen is only 27 but was taken to three games by future star Axelsen, who at 22 could be favourite for a gold medal at Tokyo in four years’ time.

With Zhao, who turns 30 shortly, also expected to announce her retirement soon, and Fu aged 32, China needs a new generation of younger players if it’s to keep its grip tightly on Olympic gold medals.
Old 12-08-2016

The Shocking Lengths China Will Go To Win At The Olympics

China's massive medal haul at the London Games has once again showcased the country's ability to produce champions through its rigid Soviet-style sports regime, but national pride has been tempered by concerns about the human costs of sporting glory.

Chinese bloggers expressed their disgust last week after a Shanghai newspaper reported that the parents of Olympic diver Wu Minxia had concealed her mother's long battle with breast cancer for fear of disturbing her training.

Wu, 26, who was also shielded from news of her grandparents' deaths, shrugged off the controversy to win both the synchronized and individual three-meter springboard events in London.

"It's not only Chinese athletes who are like this. Parents seldom come to our training base and we are just like a big family who all train together," Wu said after winning the individual title on Sunday.

"There may be distance from our families but the distance doesn't make us feel we are far apart. I chose to be a diver to pursue this goal."

While the fall of Communism in Europe in the 1980s and 1990s [stopped] the command-and-control systems that turned the Soviet Union and East Germany into sporting superpowers, China's "juguo tizhi"—literally 'whole nation system'—remains as entrenched as ever.

Like Wu, the greater majority of China's 396 Olympians have started their sports at tender ages, sacrificed their childhoods for the state and drawn their emotional support from team mates, coaches and officials, in lieu of family members and friends.

The relationship remains strong between the athletes and the state that nurtured them, and fairytale stories abound of Chinese children wrenched from poverty and enriched by success on the global stage.

But the Olympic medals have obscured the more unsavory aspects of the sports regime, which has been blamed for leaving less successful athletes uneducated and ill-equipped to thrive outside the competition venues.

Abuse accusations

It has also drawn criticism from Western coaches who have accused their Chinese counterparts of producing winners through systematic physical abuse.

"You wonder why the Chinese women are so successful? Most of the men are coaches. The women are literally beaten into submission," Johannah Doecke, diving coach at the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in the United States, told Reuters.

"If you said no to anything, you would be chastised, slapped around. It's a brutal system."

Doecke trained one of China's elite divers in Chen Ni, who rose to a provincial grade before migrating to the U.S. at the age of 19.

Doecke describes Chen as someone who was terrified of making a mistake when she first came under her instruction.

"If she made a mistake, she would instantly kowtow and apologize," she said.

Doecke worked with other Chinese coaches who had left their home country and said they would jest that she would need to be forceful to get the best out of Chen.

"As I worked with Chen, I would hear from time to time, 'if you want a good performance out of her, you'll have to beat her'," she said.

China's dominance in sports like table tennis and badminton has seen Western athletes level similar accusations of mistreatment.

Britain's top women table tennis players said China's methods would not be allowed elsewhere.

"It wouldn't be legal in Britain to train as hard as the Chinese," said Joanna Parker, Britain's top female player, last week.

Her teammate Kelly Sibley told the Olympic news service: "It's how they (Chinese coaches) treat them (Chinese trainee players) as well.

"We were playing a couple of years ago in a centre in Shanghai. Someone was playing and the coach just went up and kicked him in the side."

Chinese officials have bristled at the criticism.

"You have to train hard. Why does the West think like this?" Shi Zhihao, the male head of China's women's table tennis team, said angrily in response.

"China is very free, if you want you can do it, and if you don't want to do it you don't have to."

Chen declined to comment on whether she had been subject to physical discipline by her Chinese coaches, but defended it as being misunderstood.

"The coaches are like athletes' parents," she said in comments emailed to Reuters.

"Most of the time, coaches care about their divers even more than their own children.

"Diving is a dangerous sport, things could change in a second ... thus, as parents they have to do anything that force their children to do things safely.

"Sometimes it ends up (that they) hit their divers, but I know that it will more hurt inside of coaches every time when they had to hit their divers."

Cash bonuses

The athletes who bring China Olympic glory stand to receive grateful thanks from the state, with cash bonuses from China's national sports ministry and from lower levels of government for bringing prestige to their home towns and provinces.

Less successful athletes have much less to fall back on and state media have reported a number of cases of retired national champions struggling with long-term injuries and poverty.

Chinese athletes in London have, nonetheless, been largely unreserved in their praise of their coaches and the grueling training systems that have taken the delegation to more than 35 gold medals in London.

However, Chinese swimmer Lu Ying, who won silver in the women's 100 meters butterfly in London, spoke out against the team's domestic training system as being all work and no play.

"In China we're used to study, study and train, train and then rest," Lu, who has done part of her training in Australia since 2008, said through an interpreter earlier this week.

"I think our way of thinking has many limits. In Australia I've been invited to barbecues with my teammates - that would never happen in China."

China's top badminton player Lin Dan, who defended his men's singles gold at London, also broke ranks with his team amid a match-throwing scandal last week that claimed two of his teammates among eight players disqualified from the tournament.

The four women's doubles pairs, including China's world champions Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli, were expelled for deliberately playing to lose in a bid to improve their position in the draw for the knockout rounds.

Lin blamed the world governing body for instituting a round-robin format for the Olympic tournament that was ripe for manipulation, but said the disqualified players' tactics had brought a "negative" impact on the sport.

All costs

Chinese bloggers linked that scandal to the country's pursuit of Olympic medals at all costs and have criticized the system for putting too much pressure on Olympians to succeed.

"The whole-nation system is disastrous," wrote one user on China's Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo.

"The budding young talents are shut up in closed training schools from a young age and apart from their own events, almost have no other life skills."

Despite the criticism, China's Communist Party leaders rely on the system to produce champions who can puff up national pride, and are unlikely to tinker with it, according to Xu Guoqi, a professor at the University of Hong Kong and an expert in Chinese sports.

"As long as the Chinese are not confident enough of themselves in the world, as long as the regime has a legitimacy problem, it will continue its 'juguo tizhi'," he said in comments emailed to Reuters.

"Some people might criticize the system, but imagine the pressure and attacks on athletes and the regime if China fails to do well in the Games."
Old 12-08-2016

A few things to take note in order to solver the mysteries of China badminton scene.

1. Zhao Yunlei separated from Zhang Nan in year 2016 just before Rio Olympics 2016. Reason is because Zhao Yunlei found out that Tian Qing have been sleeping with Zhang Nan on weekly basis. Although Zhao Yunlei have been together with Zhang Nan since year 2009, she found this too much for her. That also indirectly explain why both Zhao Yunlei and Tian Qing had no communication and did not talk to each other during their WD tournament.

2. Li Yongbo China head coach knew about this problem but decided to just let it be. Li Yongbo wanted Zhao Yunlei to win her Olympics 2016 XD gold medal with Zhang Nan. Li Yongbo also wanted Zhao Yunlei to win her WD gold medal with Tian Qing. When Zhao Yunlei knew about this 2 years ago she decided to keep quiet about it and just let it be.

3. However things becomes unbearable for her. Hence she told Zhang Nan before Olympics 2016 that it is best for them to just separate. All this have taken a toll on Zhao Yunlei and Zhang Nan XD performance in Olympics 2016. Zhao Yunlei looks and Zhang Nan looks like estranged couples. That also explained why Zhao Yunlei / Tian Qing was not send to represent China in WD although both had qualified. Their place is replaced by Luo Yu / Luo Ying.

4. Ji Xinpeng the unlucky MS coach who have been punched by Lin Dan in year 2008 have also been kicked out from China team. Since that punching incident, coach Ji Xinpeng have been told by head coach Li Yongbo to keep quiet about it and not to tell anybody. Then silently Ji Xinpeng is removed from China coaching team for no apparent reason.
Old 12-08-2016

Words also have it that head coach Li Yongbo is very close to the China badminton players too. It was said that head coach Li Yongbo is very close to a China woman single players name Gong Zhichao. Because Gong Zhichao is so close to Li Yongbo, she is rumored to be Li Yongbo mistress as well. Well this is true to a certain extend.
Old 12-08-2016

Gong was one of the world's leading women's singles players between her first international titles in 1996 and her retirement in 2002. She won some of the world's biggest tournaments including the venerable All-England Championship consecutively in 2000 and 2001 over fellow countrywomen Dai Yun and Zhou Mi respectively in the finals. Her other titles included the 1996 Asian Championships, the 2000 Copenhagen Masters; and the Denmark (1996), Swedish (1997), China (1997), Japan (1998, 2000), and Malaysia (2000) Opens. At the then biennial IBF (BWF) World Championships Gong was a silver medalist behind fellow countrywoman Ye Zhaoying in 1997, and a bronze medalist in 2001. She played winning singles for Chinese Uber Cup (women's international) teams that reclaimed the world team title from Indonesia in 1998 and retained the title in 2000.

Unfortunately for Gong, her biggest triumph in an event for individual players, women's singles at the 2000 Olympic Games, is tainted by controversy. According to his later statement, China's head badminton coach Li Yongbo instructed Gong's semifinal opponent, teammate Ye Zhaoying, to "throw" the match against her, on his assumption that Gong would have the better chance to defeat Denmark's Camilla Martin in the final.[1] Whatever the effect of these "instructions" on Ye, a two time former IBF World Champion, she lost the match to Gong 8-11, 8-11, who in turn defeated reigning IBF World Champion Martin for the gold medal 13-10, 11-3.
Old 12-08-2016

Li Yongbo, head coach of the Chinese Badminton Team, has won eight Olympic gold medals for the Chinese team and 56 world champions, and is now leading the Chinese badminton team to the Beijing Olympics.

"Thanks to the people who support me, thank those who oppose me, have such a move, which makes me stronger, otherwise I will not become stronger." Li Yongbo recalled ten years of coaching the ups and downs with this A word to sum up.

2000 Sydney Olympic Games Li Yongbo is the most difficult test, in 1998 some members and coaches that Li Yongbo work and economic problems, some coaches even withdrew from the national team. "Today I will not blame my players, the players are innocent, they participated in against me, but I train them into a world champion, and they live with shadows, how happy? Now I have those players are Very forgive them, including Sun Jun them, they were still young, young to pay the price. "Li Yongbo said. In early April 1999, the State Sports General Administration confirmed that Li Yongbo did not exist economic problems, still served as head coach of the Chinese badminton team, after a year of turmoil was gradually subsided.

Sydney Olympic Games, when the first mixed doubles Liu Yong / Ge Fei out of the pressure to Li Yongbo, which is Zhang Jun / Gao 崚 turned out, eliminated the world's first set of alloy Dongwen / Luo Jingmin, "Zhang Gao Gao them When even the top eight are not ah, to the purpose of red, what kind of what kind of play, such a purpose for the preparation of the Olympic Games in Athens. "Li Yongbo on Zhang Jun Gao Jin out of the world after the first set of gold alloy / Said.

September 18, 2000, this is a memorable day, the day Zhang Jun Gao Gao won, Sun Jun also won, dispels the shadow of badminton in China, Li Yongbo coaching pressure has been released, this day is his 38th birthday . "Your performance on the field gave me the best birthday gift." Li Yongbo coaching seven years the most emotion moment, ups and downs are in my heart.

After retirement in 1993, Li Yongbo after careful consideration, chose to stay in the national team as a coach, as his personality Dalian outgoing, coach of the national team that many of the Li Yongbo personality inappropriate when the national team coach. "At that time, many national team coach against me as a coach, I feel I can not do a good coach, outgoing, big temper." Li Yongbo said, "plus I northerners, they are not willing to a northeast person, because Chinese badminton That day, are dominated by southerners, no northerners position, northerners will not play badminton. "At that time the support of the head coach Wang Wenjiao, Li Yongbo finally became a men's coaching staff of an ordinary coach. At this time the Chinese badminton team into a low ebb, internal is brewing a major change.

1993 badminton team performance on the field there has been a significant decline in the coaching team reflects the coaching ability, the aging of the problem, when the General Administration of Sport ready to train with their own new coach, the coaching staff for large shifts. Li Yongbo, who took the assistant coach for only half a year, became deputy head coach, "I do a year, do well, when the head coach, do a good job, to find a new head coach." Li Yongbo explained that the original decision .

"Yong-Bo Li admitted that after a period of time to adapt to this role," each decision should be pondering for a long time, hard thinking, how to let them accept. "Li Yongbo just took office Training methods have been challenged by some of the world champion, Li Yongbo had to make a determined effort: "I know I do not care, the badminton team is finished, only head-on, not you die is my life, so I will dismiss those world champion, There is no way, I must be fired, after repeated advice, there is no way to be fired. They do not hate me? They will certainly hate me.

1994 Hiroshima Asian Games, reelection of the fifth session of the Uber Cup, a full year in the championship podium can not see the Chinese figure. A year later, 33-year-old Li Yongbo led the Chinese badminton team to participate

Sudirman Cup badminton tournament, unexpectedly won the championship. This Sudirman Cup is not only the Chinese badminton team by the decline of the turning point, is Li Yongbo coach career turning point, this victory makes the Chinese badminton team to try again, making Li Yongbo won more trust and affirmation. Then, the Chinese badminton team won the Olympic gold medal, Ge Fei / Gu Jun won the first gold, Dong Jiong also a historic stand on the runner-up podium.
September 21, the biggest dark horse Zhang Jun / Gao 崚 stand to the mixed doubles finals, the ownership of this gold medal will largely affect the morale of the Chinese badminton team, they are burdened with the fate of the Chinese badminton team. The first inning Zhang Jun / high 崚 only took 1 point, 1 to 15 defeat. "The first game I told them to slow down the pace, do not grab, with the ball's curvature and time to destroy each other's rhythm." Li Yongbo site guidance. The second game 13 to 13 when Zhang Jun Gao continuous score, tie the game. After the end of the second game Li Yongbo once again changed the tactics, the final Zhang Jun / Gao Jin won the gold medal before the game would like to have to create the greatest miracle and the most exciting moment. "Their technology is not perfect, technical and tactical use can not be said to be the world's first, but their will and quality of the spirit should be the best." Li Yongbo difficult to control emotions, choking, eyes difficult to suppress the tears.

Mixed doubles finals after the women's singles semi-final results gave Li Yongbo a problem, Danish Ma Erting out Dai Yun took the lead in the final, another semi-final between the two Chinese players. 26-year-old Ye Zhaoying is the best record player in China in 1995 and 1997 world champion, head countless Grand Prix and Open champion title. 23 years of Gong Chih-chao is a rising star, 2000 year to get Grand Prix and Open champion. "You two play a semi-finals, certainly tired of life and death, regardless of who wins, the next day the final is a consumption, there is no need to consume the ball." Li Yongbo calmly recalled.

Badminton team launched a careful discussion and planning, 1998 and 1999 results out of the game analysis, Ye Zhaoying lose much, Gong Zhichao basically did not lose. Martine clearly showed do not want to play Gong Zhichao, Gong Chi-chao's defense because she can not break, bad play. China's badminton team in the revival of the road, Ye Zhaoying contributed, won the Sudirman Cup and Uber Cup and a series of world championships, in recent years has always been the first women's singles single badminton.

"Coaching for so many years, I do not agree with the ball, every ball has been hurt, let the ball who do not have the heart .But in China, our ultimate goal is national interests, Ye Zhaoying and Gong Zhichao this ball, Finally make a decision to mobilize Ye Zhaoying let the ball promise if Gong Zhichao won, the same treatment to Ye Zhaoying, indeed every athlete is difficult to accept the ball, then Ye Zhaoying cried, do not want to give up, and finally she Or crying that respect for the team's choice. "Li Yongbo is also filled with emotion.

Two 8 to 11 score over the end of the Olympic journey Ye Zhaoying, but this time Gong Zhichao not know all the things behind, "I myself is the athlete, know how much to pay to stand on the podium, so that any one People do not have the heart to the ball heart. "Li Yongbo Ye Zhaoying expressed gratitude. Finally, Gong Zhichao defeated Martine, for the Chinese team won the first 14 Olympic gold medals. After the women's doubles final, the Chinese team swept the top three.

The last men's gold medal, Li Yongbo did not hold much hope, the most promising Xia Xuanze semi-final loss to Ye Cheng million. And into the final of the Ji Xinpeng Olympics before the coaching staff that did not

Competitive, not included in the Sydney Olympic Games list, was replaced by Chen Hong. "Morning Li Furong Secretary to announce the list, half an hour ago I said this list to reconsider, Xia Xuanze Sun Jun beat these people (the main rival) Is it possible? Sun Jun difficult, Xia Xuanze not all won, only Ji Xinpeng In the first half they all won, if Ji Xinpeng can play well, have won it? Coach listen, I called the Secretary said, we have to change the list, and finally changed the Ji Xinpeng. "Li Yongbo of this decision eventually let the Chinese men's singles first boarded the Olympic podium.
"I have a personality is a personality, I do not want to hide themselves, we feel like I am publicity, I did not publicity where I just do not want to disguise myself, live so tired." The Chinese badminton team from the trough On the peak of the head coach and badminton closely linked together, "may not leave his life badminton, whether it is first - line or retire, will not leave the badminton, he has my life.
Old 12-08-2016

While Gong Zhichao was still in the national team, li yongbo, already head coach, had an on-going affair with her that was "known by everyone in the team"

Source:
http://cache.tianya.cn/pub/c/funinfo...9032.118.shtml

去过羽毛球队的记者都知道,羽毛球队位于训练局羽排馆的5层,两边的训练场地之间有一个常常的过道。在这个 过道里,有一个专门为球员的球拍穿线的房间,当 年,里面有2个工作人员,一男一女。我和其中一个混得很熟。在接下来的半个多月里,他的讲述让我更全面的了 解了我们的李大教头。
    先说江湖上风传已久的他和龚智超那点破事。那位工作人员说,龚智超的确和李在一起过,这事情不止一 个队员对他说过。
    细心的读者想想1998年曼谷亚运会上,当叶子和龚智超相继败给日本的米仓加奈子,丢失了女单冠军 曾引起轩然大波的事情吗?新华社的一个记者也曾隐晦地说:看起来,龚智超很内向,和队友交流很少,好像还和 一些队友关系很紧张。
     那位工作人员说,其实龚智超和队友的确关系很紧张,就是因为她和李永波的事情在整个国家队人尽皆知。 该内部人士还说:“当他们出去打比赛的时候,李 永波经常让龚智超和他住一个房间。这种状态直到谢颖堵到羽毛球队,当众骂过龚智超后才发生了改变。”李永波 的老婆谢颖是什么人大家估计在05年南京艺体钟 玲事件后已经有所了解。
    当我向一位浙江籍双打运动员求证这件事时他说:那工作人员没说错,实际情况就是这样。

Notable quotes:

龚智超很内向,和队友交流很少,好像还和一些队友关系很紧张
Gong ZhiChao was an introvert, her relations with her teammates were very strained

其实龚智超和队友的确关系很紧张,就是因为她和李永波的事情在整个国家队人尽皆知
The reason why was because her affair with liyongbo was known throughout the team.

当他们出去打比赛的时候,李 永波经常让龚智超和他住一个房间。这种状态直到谢颖堵到羽毛球队,当众骂过龚智超后才发生了改 变
When China went out for tournaments, liyongbo would often let Gong ZhiChao sleep in the same room as him. This persisted until Mrs. Xie, liyongbo's wife fiercely scolded gong zhichao in front of everyone, only then was there change to this behavior.

what do you guys think?
Old 12-08-2016

While Gong Zhichao was still in the national team, li yongbo, already head coach, had an on-going affair with her that was "known by everyone in the team"

Source:

去过羽毛球队的记者都知道,羽毛球队位于训练局羽排馆的5层,两边的训练场地之间有一个常常的过道。在这个 过道里,有一个专门为球员的球拍穿线的房间,当 年,里面有2个工作人员,一男一女。我和其中一个混得很熟。在接下来的半个多月里,他的讲述让我更全面的了 解了我们的李大教头。
    先说江湖上风传已久的他和龚智超那点破事。那位工作人员说,龚智超的确和李在一起过,这事情不止一 个队员对他说过。
    细心的读者想想1998年曼谷亚运会上,当叶子和龚智超相继败给日本的米仓加奈子,丢失了女单冠军 曾引起轩然大波的事情吗?新华社的一个记者也曾隐晦地说:看起来,龚智超很内向,和队友交流很少,好像还和 一些队友关系很紧张。
     那位工作人员说,其实龚智超和队友的确关系很紧张,就是因为她和李永波的事情在整个国家队人尽皆知。 该内部人士还说:“当他们出去打比赛的时候,李 永波经常让龚智超和他住一个房间。这种状态直到谢颖堵到羽毛球队,当众骂过龚智超后才发生了改变。”李永波 的老婆谢颖是什么人大家估计在05年南京艺体钟 玲事件后已经有所了解。
    当我向一位浙江籍双打运动员求证这件事时他说:那工作人员没说错,实际情况就是这样。

Notable quotes:

龚智超很内向,和队友交流很少,好像还和一些队友关系很紧张
Gong ZhiChao was an introvert, her relations with her teammates were very strained

其实龚智超和队友的确关系很紧张,就是因为她和李永波的事情在整个国家队人尽皆知
The reason why was because her affair with Li Yongbo was known throughout the team.

当他们出去打比赛的时候,李 永波经常让龚智超和他住一个房间。这种状态直到谢颖堵到羽毛球队,当众骂过龚智超后才发生了改 变
When China went out for tournaments, Li Yongbo would often let Gong Zhichao sleep in the same room as him. This persisted until Mrs. Xie, Li Yongbo's wife fiercely scolded Gong Zhichao in front of everyone, only then was there change to this behavior.
Old 12-08-2016

Source:

Notable quotes:

The reason why was because her affair with Li Yongbo was known throughout the team.

When China went out for tournaments, Li Yongbo would often let Gong Zhichao sleep in the same room as him. This persisted until Mrs. Xie, Li Yongbo's wife fiercely scolded Gong Zhichao in front of everyone, only then was there change to this behavior.
Old 12-08-2016

While Gong Zhichao was still in the national team, Li Yongbo, already head coach, had an on-going affair with her that was "known by everyone in the team"

Source:

Notable quotes: