Badminton Forums  

Go Back   Badminton Forums > General > Professionals & Tournaments

Notices

Professionals & Tournaments Discuss your favourite badminton professionals and tournaments here.

Old 11-19-2016

Default Lin Dan

He is such a great badminton player that I think it is high time this player deserves a thread of his own here. So any latest news of Lin Dan I will keep it updated here.
Old 11-19-2016

Lin Dan Exposed online

In the biggest news to hit the Chinese internet since the last celebrity affair scandal, Weibo has gone nuclear today after photos were leaked online showing married badminton superstar Lin Dan with a female model.

The photos and gifs were posted onto Weibo by"Detective Zhao," a well-known user specializing in celebrity gossip. Two of the gifs show Lin hugging the mystery woman inside a hotel room.

Of course, the "mystery woman" didn’t stay a mystery for very long. After the post blew up, netizens identified her as Zhao Yaqi, a model and actress. As you might expect, photos of Zhao began to be posted online.

Lin's fans weren't only shocked that their hero was involved in an affair, they were also scandalized by the timing of it. "Detective Zhao" said that the pics were from October, Lin's wife gave birth to the couple's first child on November 5th.

Responding to the tidal wave of criticism, Lin posted a short apology on his personal Weibo account: "As a man, I won't make any excuses for myself, but my actions have hurt my family and I would like to apologize to them here. Sorry."

In just 8 hours that post has generated over 420,000 likes, 115,000 shares and 660,000 comments.

"Men who cheat when their wives are pregnant are complete fucking garbage," reads the top comment under Lin's post with 338,000 likes. And most of the other comments aren't any nicer to the adulterous Olympian:

"Apologize to your wife and son? Don't know if you'll have a wife and son."

"Your wife was about to give birth! What the hell were you thinking?!"

"After a lifetime of winning, a crushing defeat. Was it really worth it?"

"I don't know what to say, I'm just sad."
Old 11-19-2016

Lin Dan apologises as pictures of badminton star having affair while wife was pregnant blow up Chinese internet

Weibo user posts pics apparently showing two-time Olympic champion with model

The Chinese internet was abuzz on Thursday after a Weibo user posted photos of Lin Dan with a ‘mystery woman’ just days after the badminton star’s wife gave birth to their first child.

Lin later apologised on Weibo after a day when the story dominated the Chinese social media site.

A user calling himself ‘Detective Zhao’ posted pictures and gifs he claimed showed the two-time Olympic champion with a woman in October.

Other internet users quickly identified her as Zhao Yaqi, a model and actress.

The post was the top trending topic and had more than 200,000 reposts and 40,000 comments on Weibo.

Lin’s wife Xie Xingfang, a former badminton star herself, gave birth to their first child on November 5.

Later on Thursday, Lin apologised on Weibo. “As a man, I won’t make any more excuse for what I have done,” he wrote.

Lin Dan is one of China’s most marketable athletes – so will his many sponsors rush to abandon him after affair scandal?

“But my behaviour has already hurt my family and I would like to apologise to them. Sorry.”

Lin’s coach Li Yongbo, in Fuzhou for the China Open, said Lin was still on leave and he didn’t know anything about the story until he saw it in the news.

Lin, 33, is one of China’s biggest sports stars, having won the world championships five times.

He won the ‘Super Grand Slam’ of all nine of the sport’s major titles by the age of 28, and was the first player ever to retain Olympic gold when he followed up his Beijing 2008 win with the title at London 2012.
Old 11-19-2016

Lin Dan is one of China’s most marketable athletes – so will his many sponsors rush to abandon him after affair scandal?

A leading sports marketing agency in Shanghai says the badminton star faces a hefty hit to his earning power after being caught cheating on his pregnant wife, but others believe the rules in China are different to Western norms

Lin Dan is said to be worth as much as US$32.5 million thanks to his many endorsement deals – does he now stand to lose it all?

It might be hard for those outside of Asia to understand how badminton, a sport seen as little more than a genteel pastime by many in the west, could create the biggest celebrity scandal China has seen in years.

But Lin ranks alongside Li Na and Yao Ming as China’s biggest sporting stars. Super Dan’s affair is absolutely huge and has been dominating Weibo.

It’s also somewhat uncharted territory for Chinese sport, where athletes have often been ‘protected’ from the prying eyes of an already pliant media.

In case your attention has been diverted elsewhere by unimportant stories such as how and when Donald Trump intends to blow up the planet, a quick recap: married Lin was photographed by a Weibo user calling himself Detective Zhao with a model-stroke-actress in October. Detective Zhao posted the pics on Weibo on Thursday and almost broke the Chinese internet.

he fact his wife, a former badminton star herself, was heavily pregnant with their first child at the time – she gave birth on November 5 – merely added to the outrage expressed by many of Lin’s now former fans.

Lin has been playing catch-up to the likes of Yao and Li in the marketing game. As an example of his awareness of keeping sponsors happy, his post announcing the birth on Weibo gave shoutouts to Oakley, Yonex and Montblanc. He has advertised umpteen leading Chinese and western brands, including Pepsi, Gillette, Red Bull, Citroen, L’oreal, Tsingtao and KFC to name a few.

In the west, companies have been swift to distance themselves from scandal embroiled athletes – think of Tiger Woods, or Maria Sharapova and Ryan Lochte more recently.
Lin will now be sweating, says Tom Elsden of Mailman Group, a leading sports marketing agency in Shanghai that has worked with brands including Manchester United, the Bundesliga and Kobe Bryant in China.
Lin Dan apologises as pictures of badminton star having affair while wife was pregnant blow up Chinese internet

“The post has reached over 1 billion reads on Weibo, the same level as Kobe Bryant’s retirement announcement, and the online sentiment is very negative,” said Elsden.

“The brands who endorse him – Dolce & Gabbana, Montblanc, Yonex etc – are unlikely to respond positively to this news and we expect that there will be serious financial consequences.

“Lin has over RMB150 million worth in contracts with his sponsors, and we don’t expect them to stand by him. So the financial loss will be considerable.”

Lin was firmly in China’s state-linked sporting structure as part of the People’s Liberation Army badminton team until last year, when he quit after 20 years. That move was because he was prevented from being involved in any commercial activities without permission, a rule he often ignored, for example when he launched his own underwear brand.

Given China’s strict control over the media, one wonders if the story would have come out at all had he still been a loyal soldier.

“This is one of the first scandals that has happen to such a well-known athlete. Lin Dan is on Li Na’s level of popularity in China, so it is a shock,” added Elsden.

“Chinese athletes are [usually] ‘employed’ by the government and are used to promote the success of the nation and themselves as role models. It is in the interest of the Chinese government for these type of scandals to not be uncovered, so it is a rare case.

“It will definitely be a warning sign for Chinese brands to consider how these endorsements of high-profile athletes can potentially backfire. But again, this type of scandal is incredibly rare, so we expect to see brands continue to leverage the popularity of athletes and celebrities in this region.”

Some are not so sure that Lin will face the fate of a Sharapova or Lochte.

Beijing-based Mark Dreyer, editor of China Sports Insider and former sports reporter with CCTV, said “it is true to say that the rules are different in China” and suggested his swift apology might see him safe.

Lin’s wife, Xie Xingfang posted a picture on Weibo on Friday of the couple’s hands holding their son’s, suggesting they would work through it.

“Our family will support this responsible man and the man who always corrects his mistakes. Thank you for the concern from the friends and fans, our family will be together in the same boat under this adverse weather,” she wrote.

“I would expect there to be more of a wait-and-see attitude than perhaps has happened in other similar cases, where brands have rushed to drop their celebrities,” said Dreyer.

“While many fans have condemned Lin online, it’s an inescapable fact that affairs are tolerated in Chinese society more so than they would be in certain other countries.

“He has responded immediately, taken responsibility and apologised, while refusing to make excuses. It doesn’t change what he’s done, but it’s probably his best chance of this dying down soon – which would allow brands to ride out the storm.

“There’s no doubt that his reputation and brand have been damaged, but I don’t think it’s been ruined in the way that Lochte’s was over the summer.”

Lin’s sponsors were refusing to comment yesterday. Like the man himself, they’re probably praying it’ll all blow over.
Old 11-19-2016

Lin Dan's wife still supports her cheating husband

Olympic badminton champion Lin Dan's wife Xie Xingfang responded to her husband's extramarital affair scandal on Friday, saying the family is still behind him if he is willing to correct his wrongdoing.

Xie Xingfang, also a former badminton player, said on her social media platform that "Our family will support this man who dared to take responsibility, admit his mistakes and correct his wrong doings. Thank you friends and fans for your concern. Our family will stand together in the same boat regardless of the storm."

Xie married Lin in 2012, and gave birth to a baby on Nov. 4. The two were seen by many as the golden couple of China's badminton world.

Lin apologized to his family on Thursday afternoon after a showbiz blogger exposed photos that purportedly show him having an affair with model and actress Zhao Yaqi while his wife was pregnant. "As a man, I won't make an excuse for myself. But my behavior hurt my family, so here I am to apologize to my family, I'm sorry," Lin wrote in a short statement on his microblog account.

But after the scandal broke out, Chinese tabloids managed to report that Lin actually has had affairs with several more women, most of whom are models. Internet users also found Lin never mentioned his wife on his Weibo microblog account for quite long time -- he had no words even on her birthday and other anniversaries, which indicated there might be an untold marriage crisis.

Lin's scandal has cost him his perfect image of a good sportsman and good husband, and may affect several commercials he was involved in. Yesterday Dongfeng Motor Company has already swiftly removed a huge Dongfeng Nissan billboard with Lin's image on it -- the billboard was made for Guangzhou International Auto Show 2016.
Old 11-19-2016

This indeed have became very hot news online. All the sponsors who used to sponsor Lin Dan has all backed off withdraw.

Lin Dan only have one sponsor left which is Yonex. Well, if Yonex choose to back off too that will be the end of Lin Dan badminton career.

Whatever it is, I am happy that Lin Dan wife has already forgiven him over the mistakes that he has done.
Old 11-19-2016

Lin Dan caught peeing on the street

Beijing: Two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan's latest night out didn't end well after the Chinese badminton superstar was caught urinating in the street.

The 33-year-old badminton player was spotted leaving a restaurant of in the late hours, and was signing autographs for his fans before hopping in a sport utility vehicle that was waiting for him.

Just when he was about to reach home, his car stopped on roadside before he started using the street as the toilet.

After Lin Dan completed his "business", he did not leave the place immediately. He continued to talk on the phone while making elaborate hand gestures.

Since the paparazzi are everywhere in China nowadays, Lin Dan needs to be more vigilant and always be watchful. More importantly, as a role model in badminton, he has big responsibility to show positive behaviors for a lot of kids around the world. Perhaps, he should bring an empty bottle with him all the time, and he can then get set, ready, aim, and fire right into that empty bottle if he can't hold his urine long enough to get to the toilet in time? Just a suggestion :-)
Old 11-20-2016

Olympics: Lin Dan leaves Rio empty-handed as Denmark's Axelsen takes badminton bronze

RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) - Chinese superstar Lin Dan, regarded by some as badminton's greatest-ever player, left the Rio Games empty-handed on Saturday (Aug 20) after losing the men's singles bronze medal match to Viktor Axelsen.

The Danish 22-year-old came from behind to win 15-21, 21-10, 21-17, likely bringing the curtain down on the double Olympic champion's hallowed Games career.

Lin, who topped the podium at Beijing 2008 and London 2012, was unable to repeat those heroics in Brazil, falling to old rival Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia in Friday's semi-final.

Saturday's third-place match was almost certainly the last time that Lin, who turns 33 later this year, would grace the Olympic stage.

Rio was the tattooed Lin's fourth Olympics and he is expected to have retired by the time Tokyo 2020 comes around.

Lin, nicknamed "Super Dan", is a five-time world champion.
Old 11-21-2016

For those who wanted to get the latest news about Lin Dan can visit this twitter account.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/lindan?lang=en
Old 11-21-2016

Website claims Lin Dan had another affair with shuttler

Chinese badminton ace Lin Dan might have had more than one affair, Sin Chew Daily reported.

Quoting news from entertainment website Quan Ming Xing Tan, the daily claimed that apart from the affair with a model, for which he has apologised, he was also allegedly involved with a badminton player at a Beijing university.

It was reported that the shuttler, identified as Li Zhi, deleted many posts and photographs on Weibo, including those of her with Lin Dan, recently.

Lin Dan, who became a father two weeks ago, apologised for cheating on his wife, hours after the affair was exposed online.

Nicknamed "Super Dan" in China, Lin is the only man to have retained the Olympic badminton singles title - in 2008 and 2012 - and is the most successful singles player in the World Championships, winning five times between 2006 and 2013.