Badminton Forums  

Go Back   Badminton Forums > The Player's Lounge > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Relax, grab a cold one and hang out in the lounge where we discuss everything that isn't badminton.

Old 04-17-2018

Default Select Badminton Players based on Merit (injustice against Jakka Vaisnavi Reddy)

SUBJECT: HUMBLE PRAYER FOR SAVING MY MINOR GRAND DAUGHTER JAKKA VAISHNAVI REDDY,JUNIOR WORLD NO-12 (PROFESSIONAL JUNIOR INTERNATIONAL INDIAN BADMINTON PLAYER ) FROM GROSS INJUSTICE

TO

THE HONOURABLE PRIME MINISTER OF INDIA, SHRI NARENDRA MODI JI,

THE HONOURABLE CHIEF JUSTICE OF INDIA, SHRI DIPAK MISRA JI,

THE HONOURABLE CHIEF JUSTICE OF HIGH COURT OF DELHI, SMT.G.ROHINI JI,

THE HONOURABLE SPORTS MINISTER OF INDIA, SHRI RAJYAVARDHAN SINGH RATHORE JI,

THE HONOURABLE PRESIDENT OF BADMINTON ASSOCIATION OF INDIA, SHRI HIMANTA BISWA SARMA JI,

THE HONOURABLE DIRECTOR,CENTRAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION, SHRI ALOK KUMAR VERMA JI

THE HONOURABLE PRESS TRUST OF INDIA

MY HUMBLE RESPECTS TO ALL THE HONOURABLE MEMBERS AS A SENIOR CITIZEN OF INDIA AND A NON RESIDENT INDIAN

First of all I would like to start this letter by expressing that this country is finally blessed with an able, visionary, honest and a clean slated dynamic prime minister where general senior citizens like me at the fag end of our lives are proud to say that we are Indians, when living on the foreign soil.

Respected Dignitaries, I am Jakka sowjanya reddy w/o late mr. Jakka narasimha reddy , aged about 70 years ,a native of hyderabad of Telangana state. I come from a family where freedom fighters such as Jagirdar Jakka kodanda rami reddy and two chief minister's of andhra pradesh served the nation. I am a non-resident indian, presently living in bangkok,thailand along with my 15 year old minor granddaughter Miss Jakka vaishnavi reddy and my son Mr.Jakka vinod kumar reddy from the past 18 months to pursue the badminton training of my granddaughter bearing badminton world federation international identity no- 87723.

My granddaughter is a motherless child and i am taking care of her right from her birth. My granddaughter is a professional junior badminton player representing india at international level and is ranked 12th in the Bwf junior world rankings, second highest ranked indian in the world, and also the youngest girl in the entire world born in the year 2002 to be ranked in the top 12 world junior bwf rankings.

IT IS TO BRING TO YOUR KIND NOTICE THAT I HAD TAKEN THE DECISION OF LEAVING INDIA ONLY FOR THE SOLE AND SPECIFIC REASON THAT MY GRAND DAUGHTER WAS VICTIMIZED BY PARTIAL TRAINING AND MURKY POLITICS TO HER IN THE PULLELA GOPICHAND ACADEMY IN A METICULOUS PLAN TO KILL HER FUTURE, AS SHE WAS ONE OF THE SERIOUS COMPETITORS TO GOPICHAND'S DAUGHTER GAYATRI GOPICHAND PLAYING IN THE SAME AGE CATEGORY. ALTHOUGH SHE WAS A PART OF GOPICHAND ACADEMY, I USED TO GET HER TRAINED OUTSIDE OF THE ACADEMY EVERYDAY WITH A PRIVATE COACH WITH MY OWN FUNDS TO COPE UP WITH THE PARTIAL TRAINING METED OUT TO HER ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS.

Unable to see my granddaughter being victimised on a day to day basis ,i took the extreme decision to leave my motherland ,my friends ,my family and all I knew from my birth with a strong frame of mind to someday make the nation proud through my granddaughter’s talent and hard work. My granddaughter was ranked no -1 in India in the 13 and 15 age group categories in the singles and doubles when she left India in February 2016.she won 10's of titles in the singles category on the Indian national circuit. She was the doubles partner to mr. pullela gopichand's daughter miss Gayatri Gopichand.

As expected ,after leaving gopichand academy ,the witch hunt and atrocity started on my innocent grand child, when she was unjustly thrown out of the doubles event partnering with mr.gopichand's daughter miss gayatri gopichand in the under 15 category in the bibli.com badminton asia u17&u15 junior championships held at kudus, indonesia between 5th and 9th october 2016. At that juncture my grand daughter was ranked no-1 in the country in the under 15 singles and doubles category ,but was unjustly replaced by a 16th ranked player namely samiya imad farooqui to partner with mr.gopichand's daughter for the doubles squad in the asia under 15 junior championships at kudus indonesia 2016, which is a classic example showing that players will not be spared if they leave gopichand academy ,inspite of being as no-1 on the top of the indian rankings.

The minutes of the selection committee dated 24th august 2016 in which Mr. Pullela Gopichand proposed this team through his email is a matter of record and evidence . Is this not gross conflict of interest ? Selecting his own daughter and throwing out my grand daughter ranked no-1 in doubles just because she left gopichand academy ?

My grandchild then tasted the wrath of leaving gopichand academy for the second time when i had an encounter during the pembengunan jayaraya international junior grand prix tournament 2017 at jakarta ,where the indian team with coaches from gopichand academy along with 5 other coaches from sports authority of india attended the tournament. My grand daughter was denied stretching and knocking for the match preparation as the said coaches clearly told that they have come from gopichand academy and that they will not attend to any player outside the gopichand academy.

They said that clear instructions were given to them by Mr. Gopichand's wife Mrs.Laxmi Gopichand and Mr.Gopichand not to attend to my granddaughter. This kind of ganging up by these coaches against my little child drove me to mental illness and grief. My son questioned them that his daughter is representing India and that the coaches have come on tax payer's monies and that they cannot deny a child from her right and that it is an abuse of constitutional right to his child. They never cared, laughed on our faces, stating that this would be the fate of anyone leaving Gopichand academy, and in a helpless situation we bore the insult, the injustice and the cruelty to our child .

My son as a layman to badminton had to forcibly sit for my granddaughter's match to boost her confidence that we are there for her ,which did not help in her game where she ultimately lost. We faced such hell many a times after leaving gopichand academy which led me to this mindset i am in today. I had to take the sad decision of leaving my country as i was sure that i as a helpless old senior citizen could not fight against a blinded system ,where mr.pullela gopichand is the chief national coach, is a part of the selection committee, is a secretary of the telangana state badminton association,has his own academies,his own children playing in the academies,all the national camps conducted here only, all players trapped with no other alternative,performances obviously come from this academy and credits taken before the governments, sports authority of india funds and badminton association of india funds come primarily to this academy , no government audits on gopichand's academies in a transparent manner ,no audits of accounts in premier badminton league,conveniently not a conflict of interest for mr.pullela gopichand in this democratic country ,in the helm of affairs of the most honest prime minister we have ever seen on indian soil.This kind of obvious conflict of interest is flourishing from a decade as we were scared to fight against this gross injustice keeping the future of our children in mind.

This kind of abuse is being meted out to the players from decades, but no player or parent dares to voice out the injustice with the fear that their children's lives will be wasted and eventually targeted to burial. Is it fair that there is a different rule for every sport, for every individual when this government has come to power with a slogan of transparency and equal rights. I casted my precious vote unconditionally to Modi ji and made sure every member of my large family voted for BJP, with the last hope at the fag end of our lives ,confident that this great human can free india from corruption, favouritism,nepotism and injustice.sport is a field which demands equality and impartiality and that is the constitutional right of every Indian sports person having been born in this wonderful nation.

Sport cannot be played under pressure,murky politics ,fear of always being targeted and witch hunted using the power given by the tax payer. In this context it is highly necessary to conduct a detailed enquiry by a retired high court judge or central bureau of intelligence into all these misdeeds, corruption, conflict of interest, misuse of power bestowed by the government trusting that justice and equality will prevail, witch hunting and targeting minor children who leave gopichand academy.

I WOULD LIKE TO BRING TO YOUR KIND NOTICE THAT AN INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT NAMELY JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2017 IS BEING HELD AT YOGYAKARTA ,INDONESIA FROM OCTOBER 9TH TO THE 22ND. IN THIS CONTEXT I WOULD HUMBLY PRAY WITH FOLDED HANDS TO ALL YOUR ESTEEMED SELVES TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY INTO THE GROSS DISCREPANCIES IN THE SELECTION OF THE JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2017 TEAM SHOWING FAVOURITISM TO PULLELA GOPICHAND'S DAUGHTER,GAYATRI GOPICHAND BY SELECTING HER IN THE 19 CATEGORY WHEN SHE HAS A ZERO RANK IN THE UNDER 19 CATEGORY IN THE BADMINTON ASSOCIATION OF INDIA RANKING ,AS WELLAS A ZERO RANK IN THE BADMINTON WORLD JUNIOR FEDERATION INTERNATIONAL RANKING SYSTEM ,WHEREBY IGNORING MY GRAND DAUGHTER MISS JAKKA VAISHNAVI REDDY FOR THE SINGLES CATEGORY, WHO VERY HIGHLY DESERVE, BEING RANKED 12TH IN THE JUNIOR WORLD RANKINGS AND THE YOUNGEST GIRL IN THE WHOLE OF THE WORLD TO BE ON THE TOP 12 RANKINGS.

MY GRAND DAUGHTER HAS BEEN SELECTED FOR DOUBLES, AGAIN PARTNERING WITH A SINGLES PLAYER NAMELY MALVIKA BANSOD WHICH IS GROSS INJUSTICE AND CRUELTY. GAYATRI GOPICHAND PLAYED ONLY ONE UNDER 19 INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT NAMELY YONEX SUNRISE JUNIOR INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT HELD AT PUNE FROM AUGUST 31ST TO SEPTEMBER 3RD 2017 ,WHICH HAPPENS TO BE THE HIGHEST JUNIOR GRAND PRIX TOURNAMENT AND SHE LOST IN THE FIRST QUALIFYING ROUND TO MALVIKA BANSOD ,AN INDIAN PLAYER AND SHE IS SELECTED FOR THE WORLD JUNIORS CHAMPIONSHIPS IN THE UNDER 19 CATEGORY?

GAYATRI GOPICHAND IS SELECTED IN UNDER 15 SINGLES ,UNDER 17 SINGLES ,UNDER 17 DOUBLES IN THE ASIAN BADMINTON JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS BEING HELD AT MYANMAR BETWEEN OCTOBER 5TH TO THE 8TH 2017 AND AGAIN IN THE UNDER 19 SINGLES IN THE JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, IT SEEMS THAT THERE IS NO PLAYER IN THIS COUNTRY OTHER THAN GOPICHAND'S FAMILY. WHY THIS RUSH FOR A 14 YEAR OLD GIRL TO PARTICIPATE IN ALL THE AGE GROUPS BY CRUCIFYING DESERVING CHILDREN'S OPPORTUNITIES?

The whole badminton fraternity in india is bleeding with helplessness watching such atrocities meted to many deserving children from the past decade .every parent ,every player is scared to death to come out with the truth fearing that their children will be targeted and crucified. Why this favoritism to gopichands daughter? Is my granddaughter not representing india, is my granddaughter not working hard to make the nation proud.? I am not against any particular child or parent or any association. I am against this system which is crucifying young children's future's and hard work by practising favouritism and nepotism to please one an other.

I humbly plead to your kind selves to intervene and save these young children being subjected to cruelty for the innocent cause of working day and night to make the nation proud ,with no education and loss of precious childhood. Enough is enough respected dignitaries , we cannot take this unbearable trauma anymore, cannot leave our children's fate to the mercy of these people,cannot bury our children's careers with our own hands out of fear from these people who are committing all these crimes with arrogance that they cannot be questioned.

I am writing this letter with the inspiration from the gurmeet ram raheem singh's incident that the victim wrote a letter to the then honourable prime minister shri atal bihari vajpayee ji ,the justice is rendered today and the culprit was bought to justice, similarly by god's grace and modi ji's initiative of public grievance cell to protect citizens from injustice ,my plea also may be heard and the lives of many children will be saved in Indian badminton from these people who have taken law into their own hands with high handedness and governing corrupted practices. I have also heard that the present sports minister ,mr rajyavardhan Singh Rathore ji is also a sportsman and maybe he will listen to my prayer and do justice,he is the best man who can understand our agony as he also must have undergone such incidents in his journey and may be he will take the role of almighty and come to our rescue.

Today my grand daughter expressed to me with tears that she does not wish to live anymore and that she wishes to leave badminton for having been tormented and witch hunted. Now the time has come for me to react as nothing is more important to me than my child. I have lost my husband early, lost my 42 year old elder son to cancer two years back and all i have is this child whom i have taken care since birth . I will soon come to india and initiate proceedings in the honourable supreme court challenging the conflict of interest and non implementation of national sports code in badminton association of india and also would seek the audience of the honourable prime minister in the capacity of a common citizen to personally handover my written grievance praying for justice. I will also exercise my constitutional right to unearth all the misdeeds by filing applications through right to information act regarding all the malpractices committed from the past decade.
Old 04-18-2018

I am hereby giving the details of my granddaughter's Miss Jakka Vaishnavi Reddy's performance on the international arena which is a matter of public document in tournament software for analysing the gross injustice meted to her.the below success of my child has not come with luck or coincidence ,behind every medal she achieved for the country, there is a story of hard work ,perseverance and determination of 8 long years :

1) Mongoiian junior international series 2017(under 19 category) - winner in singles

2) Russian junior white nights 2017 -(under 19 category) runners up in singles

Beat lana kuleshova of russia 21-15,21-7 in the first round ,anastasia prozorova of russia -ranked no 74 in bwf junior rankings in the pre quarters,beat hasini nusaka ambalangodage of sri lanka in the quarters ,beat anastasia shapavalova of russia ,junior european under 17 ranked no-17 in semi finals and lost to chasinee korepap of thailand seeded no-9 in bwf junior rankings in the final 20-22,16-21.

3) Russian white nights 2017 (womens international challenge tournament) -bronze medalist.

Beat yulia vasilyeva of russia 21-16,21-15 in the ist qualifying round ,ranked no-17 in bec junor circuit ranking 2017,beat ilyana filipchuk 21-6,21-12 of khazakistan in the 2nd qualifying round, beat julia bitsoukova of belarus 21-8-21-14 in the main draw first round ,beat anastasia semenova of russia in pre quarters 18-21,21-21-10,22-20 ,ranked no-61 in bwf junior rankings, beat natalia perminova of russia in the quarter finals ,21-19 ,1-0 (retired) bwf womens ranking no-56 , russian olympian 2016 ,lost to neslihan yigit ,no -1 womens player of turkey ,was 16-21,14-21 in the semi finals.

4) Bulgarian junior international 2017 -runner up (silver medalist) under 19 category

Beat theodora fragoulidou of greece 21-5,21-1 in the first round,beat amy tan of england 21-7,21-9 in the second round ,beat anastasia pustinskaia -21-15,21-18 in the pre quarters (ranked no-30 in bwf junior rankings ,ranked no-2 in the bec european u17 ranking, beat tereza svabikova 21-14,21-11 of czech republic in the quarters (ranked no -18 in bwf junior rankings ,beat leonice huet of france 21-17,21-9 in semifinals (ranked no-15 in bwf junior rankings , lost to chasinee korepap of thailand,9-21-19-21 in the finals ( seeded no-9 in the bwf junior rankings )

5) Eurasian bulgarian open 2017, quarter finalist (womens tournament)

Beat mariya mitsova of bulgaria 21-12,25-23 (tournament second seed , ranked no -87 in bwf womens singles , beat stine susan kuspert of germany 21-12,21-10 in pre quarters ,lost to maria delcheva of bulgaria in the quarter finals 21-16,17-21,17-21 ,ranked no-22 in bwf junior rankings.

The junior world championship 2017 is purely a 19 age category international tournament and all the players are selected based on the bwf rankings of the world in all the countries across the globe. As a senior citizen who has paid taxes and exercising my constitutional right i have the below following queries that need to be answered.

1) How fair is the selection process that Pullela Gopichand's daughter miss gayatri gopichand is selected in an under 19 international world championship tournament when she has a zero rank in the indian under 19 rankings and the world bwf junior rankings? She has participated in one under 19 tournament in india namely yonex sunrise junior grand prix tournament which was held at pune from august 31st to september 3rd 2017,which happens to be the highest grade tournament for juniors and she lost in the first round of qualifications with Malvika bansod in straight sets .If Gayatri Gopichand is selected merely for the reason that she beat aakarshi Kashyap in a 17 event ,she is already being sent to asian badminton championships at Myanmar in the under 15 and 17 categories for 3 events .On what grounds can a player be selected for a particular age group when there is no participation in that age group? . my grand child miss Vaishnavi has beaten women who are ranked in the 30 's in the world ,that doesn't mean she can be sent for super series by keeping aside players of that particular age category.

3) How was this boy mr. Lakshya sen selected for this same tournament only on the basis of his international bwf ranking? He also does not participate much in national tournaments? Is it a different rule for this player and an other rule for my child? Does international ranking have any value at all ? The senior world championship 2017 was selected purely on bwf international ranking ,the team for olympics was sent purely on bwf international ranking and today my child's international ranking stands no value ?

4) How fair is it that my grand daughter is selected for doubles when she is a serious singles player? Does this happen anywhere in this universe where a sprinter is selected for marathons and expected to perform? Can Saina Nehwal and P.V. Sindhu be selected for doubles and expect results from them ?And moreover a player namely malvika bansod was selected as my child's doubles partner ,when malvika bansod is again a serious singles player and never played doubles in her life. So two singles players are selected for doubles to accommodate gopichand's daughter in singles ? And by putting two single players in doubles category, eventually destroyed two deserving doubles players opportunities.Are these players selected for formality ,forgetting that precious tax payers monies are misused blatantly ,knowing very well that performance can be least expected and will ultimately bring shame to the nation. ?Malvika bansod was selected for doubles although she won a title in singles.? Amolika singh won a title in singles but again disappeared from the team? Ashmitha chaliha never won a title in singles but is in the team in the singles ?

5) Ira sharma is again a serious singles player ,never played doubles in her life and she has been selected for mixed doubles? Again a singles player crucified with a deserving mixed doubles player opportunity buried.? how can results be expected from this team ? single players playing doubles and mixed doubles and doubles and mixed doubles players losing their valuable opportunities.?

6) Aakarshi kashyap being a 19 event player lost to gayatri gopichand ,Malvika bansod and Purva Barve in under 17 category events ,and why is she sent in an under 19 world competition ,can u expect performance from a girl who is underperforming with 14 age group girls?

7) Why is it that the selection process/guidelines are not being posted on the BADMINTON ASSOCIATION OF INDIA website for all the sports authority of india sponsored tournaments ,giving clarity and transparency to the players? The selection process is always kept secret till the last date of entry? Is this not a gross violation of human rights and constitutional rights of players? How as a non resident indian like my grand child would know regarding the selection process/guidelines ,unless the information is posted on the bai website? I was told that the honourable sports ministry has clear guidelines that selection criteria should be made available to players on websites to exhibit transparency , why are the government rules ignored so blatantly ?

8) Why was the the junior world championship team 2017 not posted on bai web site, not giving clarity to which player plays a particular event ,but was kept under wraps till date ,with a devious intention to thwart the constitutional right of the player to approach any court of justice when injustice is meted to them.? Do we not have the right to know the process of selection,the event in which our children are selected. My son has sent a specific mail to all the members of the selection committee on 28th august 2017 at 5.37 pm requesting to give specific clarity to which event my grand daughter would be participating and it is almost 20 days and he has not received any answer from any of the selection committee members ,but intentionally ignored so that we do not have a stand or material to approach the honourable courts for justice.In addition to this gross negligence, a mail was sent to us on 14th September 2017 wherein my grand daughter was instructed to come for medical test on 16th September 2017. I would like to ask to why medical tests are done on specific players? again Gayatri Gopichand's name is not in the list ? why this business class treatment for particular players ? my 15 year old grand child needs to have a medical test for a 19 event ?so the bai is suspecting my child to be 20 years old?my grand daughter has mailed her birth certificate to bai in the year 2016 itself for the abc championships proving that her birth certificate was issued within 15 days of her birth. but her name was listed to cause mental harassment, we are in Europe from the past 10 days for back to back international tournaments and we are non resident Indians and we are given one day notice to attend the medical test at Delhi ? how fair is this procedure ?every step of our journey is being chased,obstacled by this biased governance, witch hunting my child for her to contemplate leaving the sport.

My grand daughter at the tender age of 15 has reached semis in a womens international challenge tournament ,beat women who have represented their countries in the recent olympics 2016 and this is the fate meted out to her ? Threw her into doubles which is a harassment on a minor child,conspiring to bury a demonstrating player for the nation, causing mental worry and depression , demotivation by her own country members, driving a innocent child to express to not want to live anymore is the extreme evidence for helplessness and torture. Can you imagine a 15 year old child asking a grand mother whether there would be an opportunity to change the citizenship to escape from the witch hunt she is facing ? What do i answer her , how do i console her ? We as elders would love to see our grand children merry and happy at the fag end of our lives but not hear to their pure hearts that they want to end their lives for working hard day and night to make the nation proud.Today I am scared 24/7 trying to be with her even to a toilet after the mindset she is in. Should every father of a sports person be a chief national coach of the concerned sport to get justice ? She is one of the few players in this country who puts a tilak on her forehead proudly in international tournaments , exhibiting the rich culture of her wonderful country, has that hunger to make the country proud with her talent and hard work, and it is sad that this same child is contemplating on alternatives to change her citizenship only and only for the helplessness to bear the trauma of being ganged up and witch hunted.

The BAI's money is peoples money , tax payers money , it thrives on citizens like us who pay taxes ,and hopes and trusts that justice be done on equality and not on biased selections.I am about 70 years old ,travel with my grand daughter to foreign countries for her to participate in tournaments in a wheel chair ,spending my own monies only for the pure cause of making the nation proud and this is how we are treated, hunted for fighting for our country? The honourable prime minister raised the slogan "khelo india khelo" to inspire young children ,,but it is time that the actual facts in the ground reality needs to reach to him, for many to be saved from these atrocities.

I would have not reacted to this selection in this manner ,as such incidents were happening on a day to day basis,very very common in every tournament from the past 8 years ,players sent according to mr gopichand's wishes , but today i am broken ,saddened ,confused and worried because it happened under the eyes of mr himanta biswa sarma ,a man from modi ji's camp ,a bjp leader,whom my son respects whole heartedly,kept telling me that he has come as a saviour for talented children being targeted ,was an inspiration for my son to take the journey ahead , kept all our hundred percent ,actually a million percent trust on this man that he will protect our children from being witch hunted and victimised which was very well put to his notice several times by my son , he stated that transparency would prevail, conflict of interest would be curtailed in this sport ,freedom and harmony would be gifted to players which was snatched from decades. But the cruelty is continuing and looks to be never ending..... and so we have finally decided to come out and fight against these horrific malpractices and let the country know the factual misdeeds , gross injustice and murky politics happening in badminton to our innocent children.

Respected Dignitaries , I am currently in Belgium, accompanying my grand child who is participating in international tournaments , am in a handicapped situation to come to India, and if this mail reaches to your honourable selves, I would humbly pray with folded hands to the Honourable Supreme Court ,the Honourable high court of Delhi ,the Honourable Prime minister's office, The office of the Honourable sports minister ,The office of the central bureau of intelligence to treat this mail as my petition and complaint and instruct to conduct an enquiry into all the misdeeds on the several factors explained above in this MAIL and take necessary action on all the concerned for forcing my minor grand child for developing a thought process to end her life for all the injustice,cruelty, mental harassment, witch hunting and hatching a conspiracy to kill her future in badminton.

In this context i request all the learned members of the selection committee of badminton association of india to unconditionally withdraw the unjustified entry of my grand daughter Jakka vaishnavi reddy with bwf id -87723 from the doubles category in the junior world championships 2017, as my grand daughter is a serious singles player ranked 12th in the Junior World BWF rankings and would not contemplate on particpating in a doubles event for mere formality and waste the precious tax payer's monies.

Waiting for all the honourable Dignitaries to immediately intervene, do justice to my minor grand child and and help us in dire need,

Thanking all you dignitaries with folded hands ,

Warm regards. Jakka sowjanya reddy ,Grand mother of Jakka Vaishnavi reddy, Senior citizen and Non resident Indian.
Old 04-18-2018

1,882 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!

First Name
Last Name
Email

Display my name and comment on this petition
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Anything can happen in India including cheating the age of their players. Amazing.

In its confidential preliminary report, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has said that four junior shuttlers allegedly altered their age records to compete in tournaments.

The report of the agency’s sports integrity unit, which is in HT’s possession, to the Badminton Association of India (BAI) states that the manipulation in birth certificates was consciously done by the parents of Chirag Sen (BAI ID No 2304), Laa Talar (BAI ID No 2681), Akash Yadav (BAI ID No 5333) and C Rahul Yadav (BAI ID No 1461).

“The manipulation has been done under false declaration by misusing the provisions of Section 13 of The Registration of Birth and Deaths Act, 1969 to make eligible their child to play in lower age groups and make better performance compared to their peers and a result got sponsorship/grants, etc from respective state govts/central govt/PSUs and other institutions and consequential benefits,” the report stated.

Despite concluding that the parents had allegedly manipulated the date of birth using fake affidavits, the unit has only recommended suitable action against them without giving any substantial reason for registering cheating cases.

“Appropriate action may kindly be taken against the four players, and act ion taken in the matter may be intimated to CBI in due course.”

Chirag Sen’s date of birth with BAI is July 22, 1998, but the birth certificate issued by the registrar, local area, birth and death, nagar palika, Almora, is March 11, 2005, on the basis of affidavit submitted by Sen’s father Dhirendra.

According to the report, Laa Talar’s date of birth was November 15, 1998, in BAI records in 2007, but 2008 onwards he claimed his date of birth as April 5, 1997.

In Akash Yadav’s case, his birth with BAI is August 1, 2001, but the certificate submitted by him mentions August 5, 2001, and was issued by the village panchayat office, Haibatpur, Gautam Budh Nagar.

C Rahul Yadav’s date of birth with BAI is May 3, 1998, but Yadav submitted a birth certificate mentioning May 12, 2006 as his actual age. His parents mentioned his date of birth at St Paul’s High School, Hyderabad as February 3, 1997.

BAI too has initiated action against the four players. “We have informed the CBI’s sports integrity unit that we are in the process of taking suitable action against these four players, and will let them know about the action in due course,” BAI secretary-general Vijai Sinha told HT on Friday.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Starting next year, the Badminton Association of India (BAI) will choose 20 junior players for monthly scholarships of up to Rs 50,000, depending on the age category, which is likely to be expanded to 100 players over the next 18 months with help from government and corporate sponsors.

"We will have four summer camps in different parts of India for the benefit of deserving players who haven't been able to make a mark," BAI president Himanta Biswa Sarma, present at the Karnataka Badminton Association in Bengaluru, said on Friday. Also, state associations across the country will be asked to nominate five players each, who have not been able to produce remarkable results but enjoy good potential.

"So we will not follow domestic rankings in this case but trust the judgement of our state associations. These players will then undergo a rigorous two-month training camp under both national and international coaches which will also help us identify talents we should groom for the future," Sarma said.

Present along with the president were 65-odd junior badminton players wearing newly-tailored blazers and sporting happy faces crammed to selfie frames. The players headed to the Asia and World championships were treated to a 'send-off', an unusual experience for the players used to quiet departures and even quieter returns.

On their itinerary this weekend is the Asia U-15 & U-17 Championship from October 4-8 in Myanmar followed by the World Juniors in Indonesia on October 9.

Yearly checks to curb age fraud

Corollary to the junior development program is the old issue of age fraud and the federation is looking to institutionalise yearly checks while letting off cheats easy.

Starting next year, BAI proposes to conduct annual age tests on suspect players instead of pre-tournament and pre-camp checks. If caught overage, players will just be shifted to the age group that they qualify to fall under instead of getting banned.

"Often it's the fault of parents so we don't want to punish children for that. Bans, we feel, won't be right," says Sarma. "Being caught ahead of tournaments can scar players and even sometimes push them to quit the sport so instead we have formulated an annual check to be conducted in a top New Delhi hospital which will be applicable for all tournaments through the rest of the year."

Age-group players who produce birth certificates issued more than 12 months after their date of birth would have to undergo these tests. The methodology of testing too has been an issue and just ahead of these twin international tournaments, AIIMS Delhi refused to conduct age-determination procedures since it would expose players to radiation. The federation is now in talks with a top private hospital in the capital for the yearly checks, with or without radiation.

Bone-age test is often conducted to estimate maturity of a person's skeletal system and a small amount of radiation needs to be used for X-ray of the left wrist, hand and fingers.

The absence of bans though begs the question of what would then work as a deterrent for players guilty of age fraud at a time when even stern measures have failed to stem the practice.

The CBI had in its recent confidential preliminary report named four junior badminton players who had manipulated their birth certificates. One of them, Akash Yadav, is part of the U-17 squad for the upcoming Asia Championship. The report wasn't placed before the selection committee ahead of the meeting, Sarma says, which led to the player being picked.

But once they learnt of it, BAI issued a directive for his release from the preparatory camp. In response, Akash approached the Delhi High Court which, two days ago, ordered a stay on the federation's ruling, clearing his path for participation. "Once he's back, we will have him undergo fresh checks," says Sarma.