Badminton Forums  

Go Back   Badminton Forums > General > Professionals & Tournaments

Notices

Professionals & Tournaments Discuss your favourite badminton professionals and tournaments here.

Old 10-28-2016

Default Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong Rio Olympics 2016 silver medallists

I think this player really deserved a thread of his own after such a good performance in the recent Rio Olympics 2016.

Both played so well and impressed the whole world with his good badminton skills.

En route to the finals here are some of their achievements.

They have played so well and topped their group match. On top of that they have won over Fu Haifeng / Zhang Nan to top the group match.

In the quarterfinals, both have won over the world ranked no 1 and best Korean MD, Lee Yong Dae / Yoo Yeon Seong and have thus created history.

In the semi finals both again did the unthinkable and won or Chai Biao / Hong Wei world ranked no 5 player. Both played so well.

In the finals despite losing to Fu Haifeng / Zhang Nan, both can held their heads high as both have already won the silver medal which is equivalent to gold medal.

I am so proud of their achievements that I have decided to create a thread for them.

Both of them have been playing very well this far. Both have just win their Denmark super series premier open last week. I believe that both of them can win more super series title in their coming tournaments. Besides that both had also reached the world ranking no 2 this week. I believe that both of them are already world ranked no 1 because the current world ranking no 1 MD player Lee Yong Dae have already retired from international tournaments.

On top of that both of them have been ranked no 1 for super series ranking for so many weeks already. Congratulations. I believe that both them will taste more success in the future and win more super series titles together.

I am so happy and proud of their achievements thus far.
Old 10-28-2016

V Shem-Wee Kiong lift first Superseries title in Denmark

ODENSE (Denmark): Doubles shuttlers Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong finally lifted their first Superseries title.

The duo slogged for 61 minutes to beat an energetic Thailand pair Bodin Isara-Nipitphon Phuangphuapet 14-21, 22-20, 21-19 in the men's doubles final of the Denmark Open at Odense Sports Park on Sunday.

After losing the opening game easily, the Malaysians were staring at defeat while trailing 16-19 in the second game but managed to pull through 22-20. In the decider, they played with more urgency although their game continued to be plagued by mistakes.

Fortunately, the Thais too had their share of problems and in the end, the Malaysians prevailed 21-19.

Wee Kiong was happy that he overcame his nerves.

“Yes, finally we won our first Superseries title but we did not make it easy on us. I struggled to find my touches in the first game,” admitted Wee Kiong.

“We have played against this Thai pair before but they surely surprised us with their aggressive play.

“We found it hard to adjust to their game. On top of that, we made many mistakes. Fortunately, we did just enough to go all the way to win it.”

V Shem said that they would be out to maintain their momentum at the French Open starting on Wednesday.
Old 10-28-2016

PARIS: Malaysia’s men’s doubles pair Tan Wee Kiong-Goh V Shem have moved up five rungs to be ranked second in the world.

This is their best ever ranking since being paired up in November 2014.
Technically, they should be at the top as world No. 1 Lee Yong-dae-Yoo Yeon-seong are no longer playing as a pair.

Yong-dae quit after the Rio Olympics.

The world No. 2 ranking caps a mixed week for the Malaysian pair.

After bagging their first Superseries title by winning the Denmark Open on Sunday, the Malaysians crashed out in the first round of the French Open on Wednesday.

With Wee Kiong playing with a foot injury, the pair went down 19-21, 17-21 to Danes Kim Astrup-Anders Skaarup Rasmussen.

Although disappointed with the loss, Wee Kiong was quick to praise the Danes.

“I carried this foot injury from Denmark ... tried to push myself hard here, but it didn’t work. I don’t want this to be an excuse ... the Danes played well,” said Wee Kiong.

V Shem too preferred to look ahead.

“Our world ranking has gone up and that is a plus. Hopefully, we will be in good shape ahead of the China Open and Hong Kong Open next month,” said V Shem.

V Shem-Wee Kiong are No. 1 in the Superseries ranking and, with a good showing in the last two legs of the 12-leg Superseries Tour in China and Hong Kong, they can head to the BWF World Superseries Finals, to be held in Dubai from Dec 14-18, as the top seeds.
Old 10-28-2016

I am personally very amazed by their commitment and all the hard work they have put in their training to be ranked no 2 in the BWF ranking and ranked no 1 for Super Series world ranking.

So from time to time if possible I will keep updating this thread and post the latest news of Goh V Shem / Tan Wee Kiong here.

I am so amazed by their achievements thus far that it has really moved me to keep updating their news and information here.

Hope I will get some feed back and replies too.

Cheers.
Old 10-28-2016

I am personally very amazed by their commitment and all the hard work they have put in their training to be ranked no 2 in the BWF ranking and ranked no 1 for Super Series world ranking.

So from time to time if possible I will keep updating this thread and post the latest news of Goh V Shem / Tan Wee Kiong here.

I am so amazed by their achievements thus far that it has really moved me to keep updating their news and information here.

Hope I will get some feed back and replies too.

Cheers.
Old 10-29-2016

Goh V Shem
PLACE OF BIRTH: Setapak, Kuala Lumpur
RESIDENCE: Kuala Lumpur
PLAYS: Right handed
LANGUAGE(S): English, Malay, Mandarin, Cantonese
INTERNATIONAL DEBUT: 2007
PROFESSIONAL SINCE: At the age of 10
NATIONAL TEAM MEMBER: 2007
Old 10-29-2016

Any previous Olympics Games competed in and results?
"-"

When and where you began playing this sport, and why this sport?
"I started playing at a badminton court nearby my house when I was 10. My dad encouraged me to play badminton"
Your equipment sponsor and current racket model?
"Victor, Jetspeed 10"

Memorable sporting achievements?
"2014 Commonwealth Games champion (Team Event & Mens' Double) Asian Games 2014 (bronze medalist)"

Sporting ambitions?
"To be an Olympic medalist"
Old 10-29-2016

Tan Wee Kiong
PLACE OF BIRTH: Muar, Johor
RESIDENCE: Kuala Lumpur
PLAYS: Right handed
LANGUAGE(S): English, Malay, Mandarin, Hokkien
INTERNATIONAL DEBUT: 2007
PROFESSIONAL SINCE: When I was 12
NATIONAL TEAM MEMBER: 2007
Old 10-29-2016

Any previous Olympics Games competed in and results?
"-"

When and where you began playing this sport, and why this sport?
"I started playing at a badminton court nearby my house when I was 10. I always enjoyed playing badminton."
Your equipment sponsor and current racket model?
"Victor, Jetspeed 10"

Memorable sporting achievements?
"2014 Commonwealth Games champion (Team Event & Mens' Double) Asian Games 2014 (bronze medalist)"

Sporting ambitions?
"To be a world champion and an Olympic gold medalist"
Old 10-30-2016

Birthday boys Tan Wee Kiong-Goh V Shem deliver stunning win over Koreans

NEW DELHI: Scratch pair Tan Wee Kiong-Goh V Shem made it a memorable birthday celebration when they played brilliantly to upset world No. 4 Kim Ki-jung-Kim Sa-rang of South Korea to deliver the winning point and help Malaysia finish as group champions in the Thomas Cup Finals at the Siri Fort Indoor Stadium.

The morale-boosting 3-2 win over the 2012 Thomas Cup finalists ensures that Malaysia will avoid facing the likes of defending champions China and top seeds Indonesia in the last eight on Thursday.

V Shem turned 25 on Tuesday while Wee Kiong celebrated his birthday on Wednesday.

Malaysia can certainly give themselves a pat on their backs for achieving their goal of reaching the knockout stage as group winners.

World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei got the ball rolling with a clinical 21-17, 21-17 win over Son Wan-ho.

Tan Boon Heong and Hoon Thien How, the 2004 World Junior Championship gold medallist, were next on court against Yoo Yeon-seong-ee Yong-dae.

Unfortunately, the South Koreans were just too strong, jabbing their way to a 21-19, 21-19 victory in 48 minutes to level the score.

Chong Wei Feng then came out fighting to swing the tide in Malaysia’s favour by winning the second singles.

Wei Feng was tested by Lee Dong-keun but held on to win the energy-sapping contest 19-21, 21-17, 21-14 in 77 minutes.

Then came Wee Kiong-V Shem’s heroics.

Wee Kiong-V Shem took the fight to send Ki-jung-Sa-rang packing 21-17, 21-19 in 40 minutes and were immediately serenaded with a birthday song by the Malaysian camp.

The team had earlier rolled out a birthday cake for the duo at the team hotel.

Wee Kiong described the win as a special moment for him and V Shem.

“We played much better compared to the first time together (against India on Sunday). We needed time to forge a good understanding and we struggled to win in three games,” said Wee Kiong.

“We knew we couldn’t play defensively against the Korean pair. Our plan worked.

“We are more confident but we’ll leave it to the coaches to decide whether we’ll get to play again.”

Chong Wei was quick to caution his team-mates and advised them to stay focused.

“We want to achieve our initial target – to make the semi-finals tomorrow. It is good that we are in the last eight as group winners as we get to avoid heavyweights like China,” said Chong Wei, who won all his group matches in straight games.