Badminton Forums  

Go Back   Badminton Forums > General > Professionals & Tournaments

Notices

Professionals & Tournaments Discuss your favourite badminton professionals and tournaments here.

Old 12-06-2016

Angry Disqualified Chinese Player: Farewell Badminton!

Bulgaria: Angry Disqualified Chinese Player: Farewell Badminton! Yu Yang (L) and Wang Xiaoli during their women's double badminton match at the London 2012 Olympic Games, July 31, 2012.

One of the Chinese badminton players disqualified from the Olympics for trying to lose a match has said she is quitting the sport, accusing the badminton governing body of not standing by her.

"This is my last match," Yu Yang wrote on her microblog account late Wednesday. "Farewell Badminton World Federation, farewell my beloved badminton."

Yu, her women's doubles partner, Wang Xiaoli, and six other players were kicked out of the competition on Wednesday by the Badminton World Federation in one of the most controversial episodes of the London Games so far.

The Chinese Olympic delegation "fully respects the Badminton World Federation's decision to punish" its athletes, it said in a statement.

"The actions of Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli on the court have violated Olympic principles and the spirit of fair athletic competition. The Chinese Sports Delegation feels saddened," it said.

The delegation is investigating the Chinese players' conduct, it said, "and will make appropriate rulings based on the result."

The head coach of the Chinese badminton team, Li Yongbo, expressed contrition for what had happened.

"As the head coach, I owe the fans and the Chinese an apology," he said, according to the state-run news agency Xinhua. "Chinese players failed to demonstrate their fighting spirit of the national team. It's me to blame."

The state-run television station CCTV aired footage of Wang and Yu apologizing. But their microblog accounts told a different story.

"I can't believe we fought so hard for four years and the result is this!" Wang wrote. "I tried hard at the match with a body full of injuries."

She said she and her partner had paid the price for the federation's "imperfect game rules."

Bulgarian player Petya Nedelcheva, who had been playing on an adjacent court at the time of the first incident involving the Chinese pair, was forthright in her general criticism of China.

"If it is China again, they did it so many times last year, they didn't play against each other in 20 matches. They do what they want," she said, as cited by the Telegraph.

Nedelcheva's comments are supported by figures compiled by online magazine Badzine earlier this year showing that of the 99 all-Chinese matches played in major tournaments in 2011, 20 were walkovers.
Old 12-06-2016

Angry Li lashes out in wake of London scandal

Li Yongbo, the head coach of China's badminton national team, said the Badminton World Federation was careless when it ousted players for match-throwing at the London Olympics.

China's Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli, the women's doubles world No 1 pair, were disqualified along with another six female players on charges of "not using one's best efforts to win a match".

"It's too careless. I can't understand why they didn't let them play," Li said in an interview with China Central Television on Sunday.

"The BWF had never punished any player for match-throwing, even any slight punishment.

"When Indonesia and Malaysia played in the Thomas Cup, neither of them wanted to face the Chinese team, so they played the singles games with players who used to play doubles, and played the doubles games with singles players. Is this match-dumping?

"Of course the game is not enjoyable for spectators, and I know that. But you have never set any standard in the past, and there are problems in the rules, and others just made use of the loopholes in the rules.

"Usain Bolt doesn't run with full efforts in the last 20 meters — is that sloppy play? Soccer teams send substitutes to play after they qualify for the next round, is that match-throwing? I just took a little advantage of the rules.

Li said there is no use appealing again because the appeals have already been rejected by the BWF many times.

In an online vote on Sina Weibo, more than 1,300 participants supported Li as of 5 pm on Monday, while nearly 800 thought the tactic was wrong.

Li was hired as the national team's coach in 1993. Under him, the Chinese team has claimed 16 Olympic gold medals, and brought up 73 world champions.

Li is no stranger to controversy. He came under fire for requiring national players to concede defeat to teammates in order to help them win Olympic berths. He also likes to sit near the court during important games and shout at referees to put pressure on them.

Despite being labeled as arrogant and domineering, Li said his only goal is winning gold medals.

Playing with injuries, he took a bronze medal in the men's doubles with Tian Bingyi at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, the best Olympic result for the Chinese men's badminton team at the time. Li said the bronze was not considered that important at that Games.

"It's a blow to me," said Li, who retired after the 1992 Games. "Nobody cared about me when I returned with limping legs - it's too cruel. Only by standing on the championship podium can you be counted as being successful. If didn't win the championship, you are losing.

"The gold medal looks small, and the award ceremony is short, but what it can bring is tremendous, as great as you can imagine. First of all, it recognizes your work. More importantly, it means you have the right training and management systems, and people will follow your leadership.

"If you fail to win the gold, your work will come under scrutiny, you will doubt yourself, your players will doubt you, and the public will question you. If people keep hesitating between what is wrong and what is right, they can't find the right direction."
Old 12-06-2016

China's Yu quits badminton after Olympic match-fixing disqualification

Yu Yang, one of eight competitors who deliberately played to lose, makes announcement as Beijing orders public apology

Olympic badminton doubles champion Yu Yang, second from right, has quit the sport after being disqualified from London 2012 for throwing a match.

The Chinese Olympic badminton doubles champion Yu Yang has announced she is quitting the sport, hours after being disqualified from the Olympics for deliberately throwing a match. Beijing, meanwhile, has ordered its badminton team to apologise for the fiasco.

"This is my last competition. Goodbye Badminton World Federation, goodbye my beloved badminton," the 26-year-old wrote on the country's Weibo microblogging service.

Her message came shortly after state news agency Xinhua announced that Chinese officials had ordered Yu, her partner Wang Xiaoli and the head of their Olympic badminton team to publicly apologise.

Yu and her teammate Wang Xiaoli were disqualified by badminton's governing body on Wednesday along with two South Korean pairs and an Indonesian duo for "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

The round-robin arrangements gave players an interest in losing so that they could face easier contests at the elimination stage. But spectators booed them off the court, enraged by the farcical matches in which players deliberately served into the net, hit shots wide or missed easy returns.

Xinhua quoted an unnamed spokesman as saying: "The [Chinese] delegation has already severely criticised and educated the responsible badminton leaders, team and relevant players and demanded they profoundly recognise the seriousness and the harmfulness of this matter, reflect deeply on it, publicly apologise and resolutely prevent such incidents from happening again."

Li Yongbo, chief coach of the Chinese badminton team, said his players' behaviour reflected the shortcomings of the new rules but said that was no excuse. "The key point is we did not behave professionally as athletes and did not treat each match seriously," he told Xinhua.

"We didn't strive with all our might in the Olympic way ... As chief coach I really feel I must say sorry to fans and viewers nationwide."

The international governing body for the sport has already apologised. "We are very, very sorry that this has happened, both for the players and for the sport," said Thomas Lund, chief executive of the Badminton World Federation (BWF).

Lund said it took the problem very seriously but claimed that overall the group stages had been "a tremendous success". He dismissed as "hindsight" the widespread criticism that officials should have predicted the fiasco when they adopted the new format.

Several people, including employees of the federation, have said concerns about the format had been raised long before the Games. The British badminton player Gail Emms, who won silver in the mixed doubles at the 2004 Games, said: "As soon as I heard about the group stage six or seven months ago, I went: 'That's going to see people trying to fix the draw.' I knew it could happen.

"It's unfair to all the players. They just wanted to be medallists for their country. It's a tactic. This is why you need straight knockouts."

The chaos began when a Danish duo unexpectedly beat the second-seeded Chinese pair, meaning that China's top seeds would have faced their compatriots in a match if they won at the group stage. The second seeds remain in the contest.

Before Yu's resignation the Chinese Olympic delegation said its athletes had "violated the Olympics ideal and the spirit of fair play". It did not appeal against the disqualification of the players. South Korea unsuccessfully appealed for the reinstatement of Jung Kyun-eun and Kim Ha-na, who were Yu and Wang's opponents, and two more players, Ha Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung. Indonesia challenged the disqualification of Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii but later withdrew the appeal.

An Indian complaint that a Japanese duo attempted to throw another match was rejected.

In China reaction to the disqualification of its champions has been mixed, with widespread sympathy for the athletes, even from those who believed the BWF had acted correctly. Some web users said they had not fully understood the criticism until they saw the match. "Having seen the highlights video I became quite angry," wrote a journalist, Cez Lin.

"Although the match means paying attention to the strategies and tactics, to do it like this was unworthy of those who bought tickets and sat in front of the TV waiting to watch. Too irresponsible! The disqualification is as it should be."

But others voiced anger with the organisers, with one microblogger writing: "This is a mistake with the arrangements and you cannot allow the athletes to shoulder the blame." Another pointed out: "Although it goes against the spirit of sports, the Olympic committee did not clearly rule this out in the regulations."

Fans reacted with dismay to Yu's announcement, with several seeing the athletes as the victims. "I would support them if they were brave enough to say their head coach Li Yongbo instructed them to purposely throw away the match," wrote one microblog user.

Another said: "It is not fair to criticise Yu Yang. She is a victim of the badminton match system. We should encourage her to stand up again, not attack her. She did it for the team and she sacrificed her interest. Chinese people should support her, understand her and be proud of her."
Old 12-08-2016

From bad to worse: China’s reigning Olympic badminton champion Li Xuerui beaten by world number one
Mainland team’s underachieving effort continues as Spain’s Carolina Marin defeats Chinese who appears to struggle with a knee injury during semi-final match

China’s Olympic underachievement continued early on Thursday morning Rio time – they will not be getting a gold in women’s badminton after reigning Olympic champion Li Xuerui was beaten by world No 1 Carolina Marin in the semi-finals.

China won a clean sweep of badminton medals in London 2012 in a sport they have traditionally dominated, but the most they can achieve now is two, in men’s singles and doubles.

“Just like what I have said before, our team has to try our best,” Li said about China’s woes. “Our Chinese team is strong. We have tried our best to perform well at the Olympics. These days the challenge is much more competitive worldwide. Every team is showing they are strong and powerful.”

China’s Li Xuerui is checked by medical staff as play is halted. Photo: AP
Li appeared to be struggling with a knee injury. “I will receive treatment, so it is not a huge deal. I do not know what is wrong, I need a doctor to check it.”
She said of the biggest challenge against Marin: “The biggest challenge is myself.”
“I feel pretty lucky,” she added. “I enjoyed the whole process. I mean, after all, every player wants to stand in the Olympic stadium.”

Crumbling dynasty: China out of women’s doubles and facing badminton blues

WATCH: golden moments on Day 12 at the Rio Olympics

China missed out on women’s doubles gold for the first time since 1992 and both their pairs lost in the mixed semis. China have won three of the last five golds available in that event.

Double Olympic champion Lin Dan and Chen Long play in separate men’s semi-finals on Friday, while Fu Haifeng and Zhang Nan will compete in the men’s doubles final later that day.

Carolina Marin celebrates a point during her match against Li Xuerui. Photo: Reuters
“I don’t know what’s going to happen in the final, but I feel emotional because I have worked so hard for this and I want to collect the reward tomorrow,” said Marin, who won 21-14, 21-16.

“It was an emotional match, I knew it was going to be a hard match. I felt very strong on the court. I was only thinking about what I had to do, on the strategy and everything that we planned as a team.

“She is the reigning Olympic champion, I just went out to enjoy the game and give my best.

“The most important thing today was to show her that I wanted to beat her and not see myself as less than her because it is clear that the Chinese dominate badminton, but if I show her that I want to win and not give up that also makes the coaches nervous. I maintained a confident body language throughout.”

Marin can become the first European woman to win badminton gold.
She added: “Today’s match was against an Olympic champion. She has been No 1 in the world. She was the one who had to defend her gold medal, I didn’t have the pressure of thinking about that.”

She will play India's V Sindhu Pusarla in the final.
WATCH: relive the action involving Hong Kong athletes on Day 11 at the Rio Olympics

Meanwhile, adding insult to injury, China didn't even claim bronze in the men's doubles as Britain beat them.

Marcus Ellis and Chris Langridge capped a brilliant tournament for Britain by stunning China’s Chai Biao and Hong Wei to clinch the medal.

The rank outsiders were thrilled to have just made the knockout rounds but showed they belonged at the business end of the tournament with a composed 21-18, 19-21 21-10 victory at the Riocentro.

“We had a big lead and you could see the tension on their faces. They’ve got so much pressure on them because China are the badminton nation, the superpowers. Britain are lower down that order,” an ecstatic Langridge said afterwards.

It was only Britain’s third ever Olympic badminton medal and first since Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson took mixed doubles silver at the 2004 Athens Games.

And China also lost the women's doubles bronze medal match, beaten by Korea.
Old 12-08-2016

Wrong-- the trouble is Chinese badminton is NOT transitioning... I wasn't the one who started comparing Chinese badminton to Chinese Table Tennis-- but I am going to run with it...

When you simply avoid/deflect any criticism/analysis with "this is sports", do you realize that you are putting down other Chinese Sports Association like Table Tennis as well as the Badminton Associations of other countries?

Do you all why the Japanese, Malaysians, Danes and Britians didn't choke? If you can apply your critical mind to the problems/successes of these other teams, then you should also allow yourself to stop white-knighting and think about the specific issues faced by Chinese badminton.

Eg. Tan Wee Kiong and Goh V Shem were playing quite comfortably with other MDs, but after they played as a scratch-pair in Thomas Cup 2014, BAM start grooming them for the Olympics qualification-- considering that they only found their stride in late 2015 and this is of course strategic commitment and planning.

Cf. The ironic article on aiyuke.com entitled "Lack of talent in WD" which listed how China mixed and matched the wealth of talent they had in the last few years:-

2014 winners of 3 SS, 1 GPG, WR No 1: Tang Jinhua/Bao Yixin (broken up because of 2014 Uber Cup loss)

2015 All-England & Swiss Open winners: Tang Yuanting/Bao Yixin (broken up to pair Tang Yuanting with Ma Jin)

2015 Indian Open winners: Tian Qing/ Tang Jinhua (broken up to re-pair Tian Qing with Zhao Yunlei)

I mean, it's one thing if they failed to qualify like Shin Baek Cheol/Ko Sung Hyun (2014 WC winners), but this shuffling reeks of olden-time (South-East Asian?) practices when they didn't really see badminton doubles as something to be strategically developed....
Old 12-08-2016

'Worst Olympic flop': Chinese media bemoan Rio medal tally
Dismay grows over worst Olympics in two decades
China struggle in badminton, diving and gymnastics.

China has suffered “the worst Olympic flop” at the 2016 Rio games, the country’s official news agency claimed on Wednesday, as frustration grew at Team China’s failure to replicate its past glories in Brazil.

China is facing its poorest Olympic showing in two decades after a succession of disappointments in sports such as badminton, diving and gymnastics.

Great fall of China: Beijing's Olympians fail to reach highs of previous Games

The country currently trails both the United States and Great Britain in the medals table, with Team GB taking 19 gold medals to China’s 17. The US has 28.

China has finished the Olympics in second place in every event since 2004 and claimed its highest ever gold medal haul - 51 in total - at the 2008 Beijing Games, according to Reuters.

Mounting frustration over Team China’s fortunes in Rio was captured in a tweet posted on Xinhua’s official Twitter account on Wednesday morning.

The tweet was accompanied by a photograph of the Chinese gymnast You Hao splayed out on the ground after falling during the men’s parallel bars final on Tuesday night.

That post followed an equally dismal message on Xinhua’s Twitter feed 24 hours earlier alongside a photograph of the medals table showing China behind Great Britain.

“You’re kidding me?” read the tweet, which was later deleted. “The country which has never finished above China is about to.”

China sent its largest ever group of athletes to the Rio Games - a total of 416 - and had hoped to claim up to 36 gold medals, compared to 16 in 1996.

But from the opening day - when Chinese athletes failed to pick up a single gold medal - the country has suffered a string of letdowns.

The former Olympic champion Du Li was denied a gold medal for shooting by American teenager Ginny Thrasher, the swimming champion Sun Yang burst into tears after losing the 400m freestyle and, on Monday, China’s badminton doubles teams were dumped out of the competition.

The latest setback came on Tuesday night when three Chinese gymnasts failed to pick up medals in Rio meaning their team recorded its worst Olympic showing since China rejoined the Olympics in 1984.

Chinese gymnasts had picked up 11 gold medals at the 2008 Olympics and five at the London Games in 2012, the BBC reported. This year it will take home none.

Beijing sees sporting prowess as a key soft power weapon and sensitivities over China’s performance at Rio 2016 were on show on Wednesday morning when Chinese television censors briefly pulled the plug on a BBC World broadcast about the plight of China’s gymnasts.

As presenter Rico Hizon introduced a story about how Chinese gymnasts had won “zilch” and an image of a prostrated You Hao appeared, the screen went black, as routinely happens during stories considered politically inconvenient to the Communist party.

One Chinese gymnast blamed his poor showing on pressure.

“I didn’t get to sleep until 2 or 3am ... I just couldn’t fall asleep,” Deng Shudi, who finished fourth in the men’s parallel bars, was quoted as saying by Reuters. “I just don’t know what happened. My brain is empty.”
Old 12-08-2016

China can only blame themselves, for neglected ancient chinese strategy. "Strongest horse for medium horse, medium horse for weakest horse and weakest horse for strongest horse."

Despite not pure to strict to that strategy, if some element applied, China has more adventage than their current line-up now.

CBA should place LD for MS1, and CL for MS2. CL must forced to skip many tourney to lose some of his point to make LD that already play consect tourney gain more place higher than CL.

This already happen in TC '14 and last AG. Wonder, they still sick this.

For OG Rio? Cmon, OG despite nation pride games thats more individual games. Give player their freedom. Don't stick for seed 1/2 to make gold/silver more reachable, remember London WD fiasco?

LYB tactics is ancient and vurnerable, bring more modern/fresh thinking.

CBA really make my mouth open w/ their policy.
They rarely send their youngster to the world to gain exp, and then when crucial match happen, they send the youngster.

This already make ROW catch them, and make Chinese juniors look more juniors than their counterparts in same age group from ROW.

But for this humiliated demise, my finger cross to CL, LD, LYB, and CBA.
CL: this is his third flop, only donkey fall in second. Three gold vanishes...
LD: his long and prolong vacation, cost 2 gold. His moody cost 1 last gold.
LYB: his stubborn tactics already cracked for years, and still not learn.
CBA: from grandeur to nearly joke policy, they need nearly total restructuring and reformation of vision, mission and idealism.

W/ wealth of good player, they lose already 3 gold, what is wrong?
W/ over billion people, and one of most popular sports, they can't make at least 1 pair of solid MD after FHF/CY, despite their head coach is former MD legend.

Their men sector look bleak onward, w/ LD & FHF nearly retire in near future, I think the fastest they can reclaim TC is 2020.
Their women sector will follow if they still not learning from history. The sign is already apparent.
Old 12-08-2016

Tang Yuanting seemed pissed with Yu Yang with her lacklustre performance in the OG, she was crying during the interview and said something like "I do not know what's wrong with her today.....". If any of you watched the WD bronze match, during the interval at set 2, we can see YY throwing her tantrum at coach Tian Bingyi in front of the cameras.

Chinese badminton is in a mess, YY with TYT, ZYL breaking up with ZN and ZYL in conflict with TQ.
Old 12-08-2016

Well I certainly cannot believe that I am saying this now. Wow what is happening to the whole China team badminton I am so baffled. Their poor performance in the recent Olympics 2016 leaves me in utter disbelief and shocked. What is happening to China team now?

What Is Li Yongbo the head coach up to? I just cannot believe that this will happen to China team after Li Yongbo has took over and be in charge for so many years.

Wow the badminton powerhouse crumbled just like that. Looks like the Great Wall Of China has crumbled and broken to pieces. I seriously felt that a revamp must be done for China badminton. I mean lots of changes must be done and it must start of with the change of a new head coach of course.

Wow so many internal problems happening in CBA and their players. Wow if something is not done immediately I am afraid China badminton will continue to go downhill and that will be the end of the whole story.

I just cannot believe I have to say this now after enjoying so many years of great badminton from the China team and players.
Old 12-08-2016

Well to be honest China badminton scene going downhill has been there for a long time already. The evidence has already been there since China lose in the semi finals of Thomas Cup 2014. Just that it has hardly been noticed.

Then this year 2016 things worsen when China lose in the quarter finals of Thomas Cup 2016 clearly showing the evidence that China badminton is going downhill and The Great Wall Of China has cracked.

But then after this year poor finishing edition in Rio Olympics 2016 it is too evident by now that The Great Wall Of China has crumbled and broken to pieces.

Hence I would like to give some suggestions on how to improve China badminton situation.

1. The head coach of badminton (Li Yongbo) must be changed at all cost. If the head coach is still Li Yongbo I think China badminton will not improve at all and just continue to go downhill. Something is very wrong. I cannot believe China badminton can come to this stage after Li Yongbo has been in reign for so many years as the head coach. Wow Li Yongbo must step down at all cost. His time is up. If Li Yongbo continues to be the China head coach it will be very damaging for China badminton and China badminton will just continue to go downhill.

2. Doubles partnership must be fixed and made permanent quickly. There should be no constant changes of doubles partnership. What I am seeing till now is different pairs going for different tournaments. This does not help. A pair need to take a long time to understand each other and to gel up to compliment each other. Sorry but I have to say this. Yu Yang / Tang Yuanting is a failed partnership. I wonder how this partnership can be formed at the first place.

3. Get rid of military style training. Military style training that only focuses on winning gold medal is very detrimental to the players as well. Well China system as far as I have observed focused too much on the attacking and smashing power. Players will be told to smash full force constantly full of power. That eventually shorten the life of the players. Constant smashes can lead to unwarranted injuries.

4. Send players to tournaments at a young age. Do not send the players our for tournaments when they are at the end of their twenties. Expose them when they are young.

5. If I am not mistaken China athletes are roped into sports academy at a very young age 6 or 7 years old. I have seen it before many video clips of this before in English. So sorry to say this. I saw many videos of China gymnasts cried at a very young age while training because they are forced to do difficult stunts that they cannot do at a very young age. I know it is good for athletes to be exposed at a young age is good. But forcing an athlete to do something they cannot do at a young age is very inhuman and a form of torture. This is also against human rights.

6. Players should not be forced to smash and excel at a young age of 6 or 7 years old. I mean it is good to expose the players early but not to the extend of the badminton players gong for such tough military training since young. Hence at the age of 18 the players by then are already badly or seriously injured that they cannot do much to excel.

7. Winning in tournaments is good but do not emphasize winning as the sole reason for sport. In every tournament there is only 1 gold medal. So what will happen if every one wants to win a gold medal? Sports I believe is for health. So no point to over exert the players and forced the players to go through such though military style training. It will only make them injured and cannot perform well in tournaments.

8. There must be a balanced and well organised system and structure in CBA. The system in CBA seriously need an overhaul and revamp. If this is not done immediately I believe China badminton will be ruined and going downhill. CBA should learn from the recent success of China Volley ball team and learn how they change the whole sports structure and system to win a gold medal. Yes Lang Ping the China volley ball coach did a good job. She successfully changed the whole system and get rid of the military style. Hence China won the volley ball gold medal.

9. China should learn from other teams that perform well in Olympics 2016 such as USA and Great Britain. Their athletes need not go through military style training since young but yet they excel and produce good results. China must seriously change and get rid of their old military style system. A new modern more relax approach must be used to train the athletes. Traditional methods just does not work anymore.

10. China must change and evolve following the modern days and new techniques and tactics. Old methods should not be used anymore. There are also too many issues among the China players and also among the different China XD, MD and WD pairs. So the relationship issues and communication issues between the pairs must be solved immediately if China wished to see good results coming in.

So sorry for saying all this. But I feel that something must be done immediately to save China badminton before it worsen. This is just my personal opinion.